First Impressions Of The Deus II

On 2/3/2022 at 8:16 PM, Skullgolddiver said:

So the higher the salt sens. level, the more falsing Is reduced

I'm editing my statement cause actually something is different now...Maybe the user manual is to be corrected...

The salt sensitivity level at 9 is the higher and at 1 the minimum...

So going down on this value, the machine will react towards the sability on the 1 and to falsing to the 9...

• Like 1

This morning inside the shark net at Picnic Bay.. I don't like using a camera on the job but I thought I'd take the opportunity to try and show the display of the Deus II a bit better during a dive (Diving program).. At the end of the video it shows the detector floating away from me as I'm digging a target.. 

• Like 3

The shaft seems nice and rigid swinging underwater, the antenna wire appears to be stiff too so it's not moving around like I thought it might, I guess in the waves would be where it might be more of an issue.  It looks like it'll be quite a capable diving unit for people, the options have been quite limited so I'm sure the water hunters will appreciate another option.

You're certainly covering some miles with that thing already.

• Like 1

My camera (a cheap Chinese knock-off of the GoPro) kept playing up underwater, but it did accidentally take a few great pictures as I was getting out of the water.. including an (me thinks) awesome selfie.. 

XP.. feel free to use these pictures in your advertising.. 😁

Picnic Bay 10-2-2022 (me).png

Picnic Bay 10-2-2022.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I do have a bit of a concern about the battery life.. now, before anyone jumps on me, I do know (having read the manual a million times) that the coil battery drains faster in the Diving program, and that the control box battery drains faster when you've got the bone-phones attached.. But I didn't realise how fast.. Yesterday at Horseshoe Bay I checked the battery on the control box to see how battery was doing before diving (the coil was fully charged the night before).. it showed 1 bar on the battery meter, but about 20 minutes into the dive the Deus II died.. 

This is no great disaster for me (more of a pain in the arse) as I'm at most 5 minutes away from home on the island.. But it does compare badly to the Equinox battery which holds its charge much longer underwater.. Could this be because I'm running it with the volume turned up so high on the bone-phones? 

Battery Life.png

• Oh my! 1

Here's a test of the Deus II vs the Equinox on a 1943 silver shilling.. This is the reason why I use a large coil on the Equinox.. Although I would've dug the target with both detectors because of the high readings, they did jump about a fair bit between numbers (if it wasn't for the high numbers it could have been a bottle cap, they jump about too).. Both detectors are at full volume.. Also notice how much the Deus II shaft wobbles when extended.. 

• Like 1

Yes, love that 15x12" coil! I use it the most for coins as I've found it deeper in my fields than the 11" is.  Now the next step would be to bury the same coin until one detector finds it and the other doesn't or identifies it as iron while the other still gives a good ID, that'd be a good indicator of depth I would guess.  That might take a lot of digging and filling to get it to the right depth that shows one clear leader 🙂

Someone might let you know the optimal settings for both in that situation, I just use Park 1 with the Nox on the beaches here that aren't black sand beaches in the dry sand and that works well for me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Now the next step would be to bury the same coin until one detector finds it and the other doesn't or identifies it as iron while the other still gives a good ID, that'd be a good indicator of depth I would guess.

Sorry Phrunt but I'm done testing.. 😃 Just going to enjoy both the detectors for the time being.. The equinox on the beach and the Deus II in the sea.. But I will keep on posting any queries or observations I have on the Deus II.. 

Judging by some of the videos coming out by prospectors, it seems the Deus II is also not much chop on small/tiny gold nuggets.. As I've mentioned, I also have some reservations about it as a beach detector compared to the Equinox, a larger coil makes all the difference.. But as a scuba detector it's working out just great.. Mission accomplished.. 😁

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

They made it excel where the Equinox didn't, diving.  A part of the market where choices were quite limited, so the end result of that is the Deus 2 is a winner in my mind.  If I was a dive detector user I'd be so happy now that another detector has come out that suits me as their choices are pretty limited.  They get an excellent performing multi frequency machine for on land and they can continue using it in the sea,  something the previous diving detectors lacked.    Gold prospectors have a lot of choices, Divers don't so it's only fair they get some love.

When new detectors come out the really tough criticism doesn't usually start until it's in the hands of the masses because the early videos are associated with the brand like the Legend videos we've seen so far.  The good, bad and ugly of the Deus 2 was pointed out quite early in it's release as XP have taken a different path for their release so now people are aware what they're getting, and overall its an excellent detector.  I like XP's release method of shocking us with a new detector out of nowhere.  It certainly made one competitor bolt for the finish line but in doing so they tripped over before getting there.

They didn't have to make a diving capable detector, to be with the competition they just needed some water resistance.  They went all the way, very outside of the ordinary for XP brand to do waterproofing, they saw a hole in the market and filled it.  Can't complain about that.

It's all good you've given up testing/comparing Erik, I'm surprised you lasted this long doing it, not a fun task doing that for public view.  I do it for my own benefit all the time, but rarely bother exposing my results for the reason you've discovered.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 6:42 PM, phrunt said:

Hopefully you're more impressed with it under water to justify the spend and parting with your GPX.

You were spot on with this one Phrunt.. I'm more impressed with the Deus II as a scuba detector than a beach detector.. 

And there's also a happy ending to me selling the GPX 5000 to buy the Deus II.. The prospector who I sold it to already has the GPX 6000 and GPZ 7000 to work his claims around Georgetown, Forsayth and the Palmer River, but he's always had a soft spot for the 5000 because of it's huge range of coils.. He's no small time operator, he's got the big machinery out on his claims to process as much dirt as he can.. He's been prospecting for 22 years as a interest and turned professional 6 years ago.. When he told me how much he made from gold prospecting/mining, I nearly fell over backwards.. Well into the tens of millions..  

Anyway, he invited me to come hunt on his claims.. He'll even lend me back the GPX 5000, so I'm using a detector I'm familiar with.. So, all's well that ends well.. 😃 

• Like 8