First Impressions Of The Deus II

So I have no experience on the Deus but had seen an original Deus  in action on some relic hunts. It was an interesting machine but lacked the depth needed in that particular area. But it intrigues me as it offers a lot of control (like my GPX 5000 does) and like my 6000 DOES NOT. So, I'd like to hear more about the Deus II and wondered if anyone has really looked at these particular controls. I looked over the Deus posts, but can't find the post I was looking for, so excuse my ignorance if I'm not saying this correctly. I remember someone talking about being able to adjust the salt setting (sensitivity?) as well as a general sensitivity setting.  Was there also a iron sensitivity of some sorts too? I feel the salt control along with any other iron and general sensitivity setting is what I'm very interested in. Those seem to me as the most important settings on that machine. Has anyone played around with matching them for maximum depth yet. I know a lot of the first impressions are screen related and ease of use related, but I'm thinking the matching of those settings is what is going to set the Deus II apart from other MF/VLF machines. Thoughts?

• Like 2

I hope Erik has faulty bone phones as I think they're an awesome idea but I guess it's going to be difficult to know without trying another set, a tough situation to deal with for warranty as a retailers not going to want to swap them over easily without being able to verify the fault and it's a hard fault to verify without Erik using another set and when he ordered by post, difficult.

It might just be they're not not suitable for his hearing loss type but we'll find out soon enough as a bunch of other people start using them, the way I see it is a manufacturer is unlikely to ever release a product that doesn't work properly.   I think the quality of the bone headphones although they may not look tough must be, even as an accessory they also include the 5 year warranty, that's a killer warranty for headphones like that designed for underwater use in salt.  The price is also quite respectable too I think.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A comment by Jeff on another one of my threads comparing the Deus II to the Equinox, has got me thinking about black-sand beaches.. and when can a beach be called a black-sand beach? 

Jeff watched the videos (page 18 on this thread) and noticed the black sand on my beach, you can see it clearly in dark streaks during back-wash.. He correctly pointed out that the amount of black sand could be why it's difficult to determine which detector is better at the job.. I fully agree, but for me it's always been this way.. I don't have easy access to other beaches except for those on this Island (there's a lot), and they all have black sand (maybe the island's name provides a clue?)..

So, I would like to know how my beach stacks up against yours in terms of black sand.. Have a quick look at the videos and please tell me what you think, I'd really like to know as it'll give me a better idea of what I'm dealing with.. 😃  

11 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

A comment by Jeff on another one of my threads comparing the Deus II to the Equinox, has got me thinking about black-sand beaches.. and when can a beach be called a black-sand beach? 

Jeff had watched the videos (page 18 on this thread) and noticed the black sand on my beach, you can see it clearly in dark streaks during back-wash.. He correctly pointed out that the amount of black sand could be why it's difficult to determine which detector is better at the job.. I fully agree, but for me it's always been this way.. I don't have easy access to other beaches except for those on this Island (there's a lot), and they all have black sand (maybe the island's name provides a clue?)..

So, I would like to know how my beach stacks up against yours in terms of black sand.. Have a quick look at the videos and please tell me what you think, I'd really like to know as it'll give me a better idea of what I'm dealing with.. 😃  

I don’t have a Deus 2 and I don’t know if you ground balance yours before using it or if you have used all of the iron sand features included in the Beach programs…….So, as you try to do a ground grab ground balance by pressing the pinpoint button and slowly pumping the coil, instead of watching the numbers in the bottom right corner of the display, try to watch the bar graph in the bottom left corner that alternates with the battery levels and see what happens.

Just by looking at your videos, the sand there looks similar to some of the Southern California beaches I have hunted that have moderate levels of black sand and can definitely give VLFs problems.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So, as you try to do a ground grab ground balance by pressing the pinpoint button and slowly pumping the coil, instead of watching the numbers in the bottom right corner of the display, try to watch the bar graph in the bottom left corner that alternates with the battery levels and see what happens.

Thanks for your help Jeff.. I've just made a quick video to show you what happens.. 

PSX_20220208_160812.jpg

54 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Just by looking at your videos, the sand there looks similar to some of the Southern California beaches I have hunted that have moderate levels of black sand and can definitely give VLFs problems.

Thanks Jeff, that's good information.. 😃 

Take a magnet down, you'll quickly see if the beach has black sand, if it's anything like our black sand beaches you won't have a magnet anymore you'll have a big blob of black sand in your hand where the magnet used to be.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

what I'm dealing with

Black sand... Magnetic as the isle's name Erik...

So You definitely might want to activate the magnetic reject just to try if something change in performance.

I also have a long beach with heavy black texture but without my Deus in the hands I can't say more for now.

However, in your video, it looks like You tried In a relatively "clean soil", I mean there's no trace of mineral bars appearing on the screen down to the left...You might expect that area to fill with bars when the ground is bad...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erik Oostra said:

Thanks Jeff, that's good information.. 😃 

I did not see any activity in the lower left where GND LVL is labeled. it stayed empty/blank.

Actually, I think I am giving you bad information. You might want to really study the Ground section in the manual page 22 (I think) and figure out how to ground balance in the Beach modes and how to use the Magnetic Ground accept/reject setting.

Like I said I don't have a Deus 2, but in Beach mode you may need to first press the top right button under G.B. to access the Beach ground balance menu where you chose if you want tracking or grab and magnetic ground accept (probably yes in our case) or reject....test it and see if accept/reject makes a difference.

• Like 1

As a water hunter i appreciate you observations as diver.  As a diver id say you are are smooth and move with the water.  As a wader we have a lot more torque than you in the nearshore drift and waves. The screen .....like you i like it simple.  With more of these machines being multi use they tend to squeeze it all on one screen.... thats a lot of info most of which i dont need.   In the water i first want to hit a target..... any target, then i need to know the tones are reliable or give me the info i need, IF im lucky i can see the screen.  So durability is still an issue with me.  EVERYONE has a wish list and they cant please us all.   Even the Nox..... half the stuff i dont use and it takes me a min to get past it if i have to do any adjustments.  Most of the time once we get our machines set to our liking ..... we have to do very little adjustment.  Is that what you found during your diving?  Thanks for the threat im working my way thru it all.  For me that antenna will have to be taped down a little differently.  I noticed yours didnt move much while diving but wading it will.  If the shaft has much movement it will wear.  Nice to see it wont twist thou.   Did you feel the dive mode reduced your sensitivity to the point you may have lost targets.  But then you dont know what you dont know unless someone is comparing targets for a bit.  I dont see your opinion as anything other than that thanks.

• Thanks 1