First Impressions Of The Deus II

Erik, it seems to me that the first and easiest way to see if your bone phones are working properly, is to have one of your mates with good hearing give them a go. If they report that they're plenty loud, like others have reported, you know it's your hearing situation, and not the phones.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cudamark said:

Erik, it seems to me that the first and easiest way to see if your bone phones are working properly, is to have one of your mates with good hearing give them a go.

A mate has tried them out.. he reckons they are plenty loud for him but he also can't feel any vibrations.. looks like I got a dud without the vibrations.. I'm using them as normal headphones with just with the sound and I'm happy with that.. If I send them back I'll be stuck without headphones again.. I'll have a rethink in a few weeks whether to send them back for a replacement if I find I need a headphone that vibrates as well as makes a sound.. 😁 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

Did you feel the dive mode reduced your sensitivity to the point you may have lost targets.  But then you dont know what you dont know unless someone is comparing targets for a bit.  I dont see your opinion as anything other than that thanks.

Thanks Dewcon.. The Diving program seems very sensitive/stable on the targets I'm after.. I've been testing it underwater with various rings and coins buried at different depths and seeing how the Deus II compares with the Equinox and PulseDive.. So far, I'm very impressed with the Deus II as a scuba detector.. on the beach I'm finding it has no real advantage over the Equinox.. but that's on my beaches, yours may well be different.. 

18 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

The Diving program seems very sensitive/stable on the targets I'm after.. I've been testing it underwater with various rings and coins buried at different depths and seeing how the Deus II compares with the Equinox and PulseDive.. So far, I'm very impressed with the Deus II as a scuba detector.

Erik,

When I was diving I always had trouble hearing detectors over the sound of the bubbles. There was never a really good solution to that aside from timing the breathing. This was years ago now.

I have conductive hearing loss and my ears ring loudly all the time. As long as it is quiet, I hear pretty well. In noisy environments is where the difficulty is, all the sounds blend together and I cannot sort them out sometimes. Hunting land is now so much easier because the headphones keep the outside noise down.

You have much greater hearing loss than I, but have sorted it out and are able to continue. How do you do it so well? Please feel free to message or I could start a new thread to avoid hijacking this one.  

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

You have much greater hearing loss than I, but have sorted it out and are able to continue. How do you do it so well?

Thanks Geezer.. I also have loud constant 'ringing' in both ears (tinnitus).. I have difficulty hearing over the top of this ringing, especially in the mid to high tones.. I wear hearing aids and lipread to get by, as it's pretty hopeless without them..  My hearing loss is hereditary, my great-granddad, granddad, mum, me and my twin brother and now my son as well.. My hearing started to go in my early teens and is steadily getting worse.. my mum is nearly deaf and uses very sophisticated hearing devices to hear the phone etc., and that'll be me a few years down the track.. Because the hearing loss is so gradual, I've never really noticed it.. I've learned to live with it.. same applies underwater, I time it with breathing out so I can hear the detector over the bubbles.. and my eyes are constantly glued to the target ID whenever the detector makes a likely squeak.. on the beach I use the speakers instead of headphones, I wear a hearing aid on the side of my swinging arm (right).. I don't wear one on the left so there's very little sound coming in from that side.. I'm in a little sound bubble with me and the speaker that way.. Even with a noisy background (waves and wind) I find this works well for me.. 😁    

• Like 3

My thumbs up "like" doesn't mean I like your hearing situation Erik. My "like" is for support of your situation and especially your willingness and tenacity to keep going at a hobby/pursuit where hearing is almost an automatic requirement. The Nokta Makro Legend in spite of its depth limitations (3 meters) may be another option when it is released since its vibrating handle really works well. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2022 at 2:57 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

My "like" is for support of your situation and especially your willingness and tenacity to keep going at a hobby/pursuit where hearing is almost an automatic requirement.

Well said Jeff. And when we do not quite have the requirement we see some who did it without. What a hopeful thing.

We get caught up in arguing over detectors sometimes and forget there are more important things. 

Forget all I said about the long stiff plastic lead on the bone-phones, it's great! Whenever the Deus II does it's amazing disappearing act underwater by floating away from me, I just give the lead a quick tug and it zooms straight back.. 😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Forget all I said about the long stiff plastic lead on the bone-phones, it's great! Whenever the Deus II does it's amazing disappearing act underwater by floating away from me, I just give the lead a quick tug and it zooms straight back.. 😁

Jeez...You're confirming my fear for another straight shaft project I was expecting to be involved with...😑

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:07 PM, Erik Oostra said:

Yeah, it's a long stiff plastic lead - 1.8 metres long.. I've got it tried down coiled up at the back of the hand rest to keep it out the way.. I can see it getting tangled up in my regulator hoses when diving but being able to hear them at all makes it worth it.. still, XP could have gone about the whole lead thing a bit better.. a short curly rubber lead would be a huge improvement.. 😃    

Not saying this will work but in the past, I have made a straight wire coiled, by wrapping around a cylindrical object and using a heat gun, heat the cable, then place in the refrigerator to cool down. They retain the coil quite well. I will give this a try when you phones come in.

• Like 3