First Impressions Of The Deus II

Glad to see you in the water with your new toy, so now I guess you will be finding some nice items to share with us.

Good luck on your next hunt, and find that lost treasure chest full of gold and diamonds.

• Like 1

So no decent finds on your hunt today? Looks pretty good, the screen seemed nice and easy to see in the water. 

I assume you went to depths like that to test it more than anything? I would guess the best finds would be where the swimmers hang out but I'm no beach water hunter so I have no idea 🙂

You might stumble across an old shipwreck! From my vague memory there was something like 15 shipwrecks around Magnetic Island?

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 12:00 AM, Erik Oostra said:

I’m still figuring stuff out by pushing buttons, guess I’ll have to read the manual..

I understand that it sets up differently than what you may be used to with Nox.  So there are always going to be growing pains and things that are different (but not necessarily flawed) that will take some getting used to with swing time experience.  But yes, please read the manual.

GB answered your questions on saving custom program settings.  A little different than Nox, but IMO ultimately more powerful in some respects as discussed in the TID subject below.

One initial thing that’s got me a bit spooked is the stand-by light on the coil.. It was already flashing when I opened the box and hasn’t turned off yet! Is this normal? I’d have thought it would turn off after a certain time to save the battery.. If this is not normal how can I turn the bloody thing off? It keeps on blinking once every 4 seconds even when the control box (or Remote Control in XP speak) is turned off.. I’ve not tried smashing it against the wall yet, but I’m getting close.. 

Yes this is normal.  The coil stays charged for months regardless.  This coil "heartbeat" display serves a dual purpose:  it gives you a crude I dication that your coil is not dead or battery fully discharged and it flashes with a different cadence when it is actively linked to your remote which is handy if you have multiple D2 wireless coils.

The target ID only flashes up when the detector has spotted something (it doesn't stay on the target display), the rest of the time it shows you a whole load of stuff which is not important.. I know it’s a different story for prospecting but do you really need to know that the coil is still attached?

On 1/28/2022 at 12:42 AM, phrunt said:

Rightly or wrongly I love Target ID's, so it's a shame even though they've improved them they're still not focused on letting you see them 😉  Target ID's have been very good to me.

Target ID on Equinox does the same thing.  After a few seconds on Equinox it goes back to double bars and the double bars just sit there taking up screen real-estate until the next target acquisition.  On Deus 2, if you have acquired a target the TID is prominent, proritized, and centralized as long as the target is being acquired by the coil (see  pic below).  If that's not focused, not sure what is.  Otherwise you are getting mode information instead of double bars...which is useful because you can very quickly navigate between two programs (or custom saved variants of the same program) by simply pressing the plus/minus buttons and without having to carousel one way through all the modes like on Equinox. This is a lot more efficient interface for target interrogation using a single mode (i.e., beach) set up with different user selected filter or reactivity settings variants of that mode..  I switch between Deus, Orx, and Equinox and it has been pretty seemless for me.  I am never thinking where is the TID info or feel it is obscured by other info.  I don't have a D2 so I don't know the TID "linger" time is insufficient (i.e., less than Equinox) before it fades back to the mode info.  It certainly takes priority when a target is acquired, i.e., you are never waiting for the mode screen to go away to get your TID.  Plus you have the secondary linear graphic scale TID indicator across the top which is always there unless you are in the options menu screens..  I know the clock/battery isn't rotates with the mineralization bargraph.  I might find that aspect annoying.

This has come up a couple times but notably not from experienced Deus users (and experienced Deus users also use other machines like the Nox) so I WILL look at this with a hopefully objectively critical eye and render an opinion because there are some differences from original Deus. 

810254760_SmartSelect_20220129-031424_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.5f9684e3e8c7f4da2f0eb4b20426399f.jpg

On 1/28/2022 at 3:16 AM, Erik Oostra said:

I've just unboxed the Deus II WS6 MASTER.. It works.. It'll be a good back-up when the control box fails.. 😬 

Good attitude. :dry:

• Like 2

Great initial review, Erik, loved reading it!

Yes, performance is the primary factor. But sometimes, "the little things" can make a big difference for at least some users. There are plenty of reviews looking at how the Deus II does against the Equinox (or how it performs in general), so it's nice to see a review from a different perspective.

I remember when I was comparing colleges to attend, I placed a great amount of emphasis on the cafeteria/food services (great is a relative term in that I put some emphasis on it while most of my classmates couldn't' care less). Logically, it shouldn't matter. But I always felt that how a school feeds its students is just one indirect way to judge how they'll treat their students in other respects, like...education.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 7:36 PM, Chase Goldman said:

TID time out could be improved

The video shown earlier had some fault maybe a bad flash/bug, a better video of the display personally i have no issue with it i only use it to set the machine up then use my ears.

• Like 3

On 1/28/2022 at 9:00 AM, Erik Oostra said:

So I’ll keep you posted on how my new Nox-Lite performs in the drink..        

Your first test matches my test, unless for some settings You need to try...

By the way, really funny storytelling for sure😂

• Like 2

One of my concerns is, and has always been with the deus/orx platform (and yes I have owned both) is I'm not sold on the total wireless system. Sure, there is emi that is seen/heard but what about unseen emi? I  don't like the antenna wrap but I get it. Seems a lot of open doors. I agree with the screen setup and it wouldn't surprise me if xp brings an update to rectify.

The weight/ergo is light years above the eq IMO. That said, I'm gonna let them get some more airtime before I go all in on one. Good review op.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tin Can said:

The video shown earlier had some fault maybe a bad flash/bug, a better video of the display personally i have no issue with it i only use it to set the machine up then use my ears.

It is still trying to cycle to show you what program you are in. I would rather the program remained hidden until a key is pressed.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Sandheron said:

It is still trying to cycle to show you what program you are in. I would rather the program remained hidden until a key is pressed.

You can not please everyone i guess if it was removed some people would complain and want it back, the main issue for me is how the machine performs and it performs well :-).

• Like 1