First Impressions Of The Deus II

2 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Equinox Beach 2 runs lower frequencies than Beach 1.

Didn't know that.. but how low is low? Is there much difference? In my experience Beach 1 runs stabler than Beach 2 underwater.. I can't explain why, it's just what I've noticed with my detector.. maybe the higher frequencies in Beach 1 are still low enough for it to run stable in seawater (unlike those of the Deus II Beach programs)?   

4 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

Didn't know that.. but how low is low? Is there much difference? In my experience Beach 1 runs stabler than Beach 2 underwater.. I can't explain why, it's just what I've noticed with my detector.. maybe the higher frequencies in Beach 1 are still low enough for it to run stable in seawater (unlike those of the Deus II Beach programs)?   

Lke I said a couple of posts earlier, Beach 1 and Beach 2 have both been analyzed. Beach 1 has a lower frequency below 10 kHz and a higher frequency somewhere between 20 and 24 kHz. Beach 2 has a lower frequency below 10 kHz and a higher frequency around 14 kHz. Sensitivity to smaller targets of all conductivities is much better using Beach 1 compared to Beach 2. You can test that yourself on 1 gram or smaller targets, especially lower conductors.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Equinox Beach modes are multi frequency only and have been shown to both run a low frequency (below 10 kHz) and a higher frequency around 20 kHz for Beach 1 and around 14 kHz for Beach 2.

Sorry Jeff, just saw you mentioned this before..

• Like 1

This is what NASA-Tom found during his Equinox testing:

If you were to run Beach Mode-2 at the Sensitivity settings of Beach Mode-1...... there would be a very marked performance loss. Beach Mode-1 is quite a bit more sensitive than Beach Mode-2. You always 'drive' Beach Mode-1 to its highest allowable 'stable' level.... to maximize performance (which is usually around 20/21). When you switch over to Beach Mode-2..... it is much more 'tame' (lame)......and less reactive to the wet salt. SOOOOoooooooo....... in order to 'gain back' what you have lost.,.,.,.,.,.,., the added stability of Beach Mode-2 then requires you to drive the Sens setting up TO the level of (just-shy-of) 'slightly chatty' peak performance. . . . . . which is a Sens setting of 23/24.

He also says that Beach 1 is more unstable when you are fully submerged.. This differs from what I've found but I've always compared the two Beach modes on the same sensitivity settings as an indicator of the detector's stability.. It somehow seemed like an unfair comparison otherwise if you were to change the sensitivity settings.. 😬 It's been a steep learning curve..    

23 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

all found by a Nox

Thanks Joe.. That's why the Deus II is my scuba detector, for the beach my Foxy Noxy will always reign supreme.. 😁 or until I fall madly in love with the Deus's target display.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

you don't have any little gold nuggets laying around you can test on it in the prospecting mode do you Erik?

I'm ashamed to say I don't.. 😬 

Just now, Erik Oostra said:

I'm ashamed to say I don't.. 😬 

All good, I'm sure others will get to the nugget side of it once it gets into more peoples hands.  At the moment it's the relic hunters using it, and you the salt water hunter, I'm waiting for the gold prospectors 🙂

It's immediately disadvantaged as a prospector machine for small gold by the coil size so it'll be interesting to see how it compares.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 8:43 PM, Erik Oostra said:

Deus II hard at work this morning at the back of Alma Bay.. Edit: Truth be known I got lost underwater again.. I came up for a look to see where I was.. 

2022-02-01.png

Cool pic love it

• Thanks 1

I thought I'd post this vid from today's dive with the Deus II while the internet is back on.. I'm sorry I'm not getting back to some of you as fast as I'd like.. a patchy internet is always a bit of a nightmare during the wet season..