Tarsacci Cookbook And Best Practices

6 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

I completely understand what you are saying about backing off the power.  With most machines it cuts the chatter a lot.

The reason I back off power is because I get something for it, and because I can. I am hunting recents drops which means I do not need anything like the power you want for what you do. It is the opposite of what you do in some ways, you using as much power as you can for depth while I use as little as I can get away with to better image what is lying shallow by trying to minimize ground effect and iffy signals from junk. 

As you also mention, the stock coil is surprisingly sensitive to surprisingly small pieces of gold even as it will ignore foil. Also unusual, it is curiously easy to run in heavy junk for a coil that large. I thought it too big to begin with and hoped for a smaller coil but now think the larger one a better thing to try and see if a little more ground coverage improves the take.

Thanks for the help.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:34 PM, dewcon4414 said:

Pull tabs and aluminum after the 8” range can read above a quarter.  I find this to be an advantage others may not.   When I can’t see the screen deep iron you may hear both iron and a high tone…. Pull tabs can do the same … and a lot of times I’ll pass those

This is more and more interesting with each reread. There can be no doubt that pull tabs and aluminum reading that high is an advantage. Also the deep iron. They might both fall out with a disc setting of 28. What then happens with pull tabs that are shallower and not upscaling like this? Does the TID change at all on the pull tabs with the larger coil, or frequency change etc, in the same manner as coins or rings might do? 

This is what I plan to explore this coming season. I would like to come up with parameters that might shift pull tabs away from gold if it can be managed. Even if it might be possible to create a scheme that puts the majority of pull tabs just a point more up the scale than the gold moves there would be advantage to be taken that would allow much more ground to be covered.

I wonder if that idea makes any sense at all. I know that where and how I hunt, the desirable targets mostly fall in at 4-23 with a stock coil, and the most common pull tab hits at 7. Good sized rings hit at 7, but less of them than those at 4,5,6. There are some heavy rings that hit above pull tabs but they are less common and have a scream hard to ignore. A person could ignore 7 and dig everything else which amounts to very little trash if one just takes the good clean signals.

If you shift gold up a bit but pull tabs move up with them, nothing changes, but you might be able to knock off a number or two from the bottom which is where can slaw lies. If pull tabs do not move up or in fact move up more, then you begin to spread targets from junk in a way that might be useful.

It may in fact be better to simply dig everything in the target range and not look for ways to ignore signals in the good zone. I am going to try shifting settings a bit with the big coil and dig everything 4-23 and see if a pattern develops that might be useful.

I know that using disc and ignoring signals that fall outside the iron range can lose gold and is not favored by many. I will see how much such a practice might lose by digging everything in range and seeing what I might have passed on. It is the only way to know.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

I hunt in AM.  I run -30 disc when I reverse disc to check targets.  I first tried to notch +27 which broke up the iron that wrapped around.  -30 tended to bring most back into the ferr range.  There are days I ignore iron and any targets 13 and above.  On some machine I’ve noticed the size of the ring affected the TID but the MDT seems to read the metal better I think.  What I also like is bottle caps.  There seems to be 3 types … iron, those in the 10 range and this above a quarter with copper.  Pretty easy to figure out once you ignore two of um and the other will give you a high and some iron chirp tones.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, dewcon4414 said:

I hunt in AM.  I run -30 disc when I reverse disc to check targets.  I first tried to notch +27 which broke up the iron that wrapped around.  -30 tended to bring most back into the ferr range.  There are days I ignore iron and any targets 13 and above.  On some machine I’ve noticed the size of the ring affected the TID but the MDT seems to read the metal better I think.  What I also like is bottle caps.  There seems to be 3 types … iron, those in the 10 range and this above a quarter with copper.  Pretty easy to figure out once you ignore two of um and the other will give you a high and some iron chirp tones.

I have yet to spend any time at all hunting AM, but this is now definitely on my list for this season. With that mixed mode, somehow AM just never came to mind, but it should have. Some detectors I much preferred to run AM over disc, and disc on the Tarsacci sounds a little thin compared to mixed.

The last detector that I preferred AM hunting on was a Gold Racer and I never checked any signals at all in disc, just looked at the screen and dug all good signals that were not obviously iron. Do you reverse check yours because you are in the water and cannot see the screen, or is there another reason?

Bottle caps can be a pain, Corona caps in particular some places. Mostly these come shallow here and the ones I dig most fall into penny and dime ranges with some up in quarter. They often sound too good to pass, but tend to pinpoint off center, esp if bent. I do not mind digging these unless there are a lot of them, then I will ignore some when I get tired.

The Tony Eisenhower headphones came today, they look really nice. Those and the new coil are ready to be wrapped for my birthday. I will be so surprised, and they are just what I wanted. 

Yes I reverse disc because I can’t see the screen.  If I can see the screen no need.  This machines reacts very much the way an Xcal does in PP mode.  I ignore a good many of those Coronas when I can read the screen.  

I know Tony very well and got the first pair he made for sell for the Nox to test.  I gave him the type of connector on the MDT so he could do me a pair.  I have like 4 pairs and even traded one to a friend.  Iv NEVER had a problem with them either.  

there’s a big advantage hunting in AM especially if you can see the screen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

there’s a big advantage hunting in AM especially if you can see the screen.

This is something that keeps coming up lately in my reading. I was always detector specific about it, some machines I just preferred AM. I thought of your previous post when watching this video and reading this thread:

• The title was changed to Ditimar Throw The Faithful Few A Bone
  • The title was changed to Dimitar Throw The Faithful Few A Bone
11 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I have yet to see any ad for the Tarsacci. I know myself if it wasn’t for reading about the Tarsacci on this forum it would have went nonexistent to me .

Marketing is the weak point for sure, and further might be general communication of the goals and accomplishments in progress to create a sense of community around the product. It is just not there.

DImitar could have a lot of free publicity right here, does not need be expensive.

1 hour ago, Dancer said:

Dimilar will answer the phone and get us through a problem.

The strong suit of this company. They will pick up the phone and talk to you. About everything about the detector and how to use it. There is not one case I know of where Dimitar did not go above and beyond in customer service.

1 hour ago, Dancer said:

Being able as advertised to run stable in salt water. 

And the way it handles bad dirt and heavy trash! My PI sits now, the MDT is all the PI I need for the really bad spots here. Dozes through the trash.

So few know about that, or even so much how to use it to make it do it.

Storagebox

Aaron has yet to say the why he parted company. It could be just what we’ve been talking about as in no PR no Ad. If I wanted to be a dealer I want to sale more than one ever blue moon because I can’t make a going business doing that. If you got several things going for you that may work but not that alone.

I don’t know if you have seen any of Aaron’s videos but he done a great job making them and you could see he put his heart in them. He was doing his best in promoting Tarsacci but you need company backing.

We all blowing in the breeze for nothing I guess.

Chuck 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 8:12 AM, Geezer said:

And the way it handles bad dirt and heavy trash! My PI sits now, the MDT is all the PI I need for the really bad spots here. Dozes through the trash.

Are you talking non-ferrous Trash or ferrous trash?  I find it great for differentiating non-ferrous from ferrous at depth in hot dirt, especially using mixed audio.  But as a relic hunter, the MDT would be the last machine with which I would venture into an area polluted with aluminum or similar non-ferrous trash due to it's tonal limitations and sub-par ID stability.  The thing I struggle with most is how to set up salt balance in hot dirt.  It's different than at the beach and I have found no tried and true methodology, it's really hit or miss.  Any hints and tips on how you adjusted salt balance  settings at hot dirts sites would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

It was a book’s worth of information just allowed to go to waste.

Regarding the lost nuggets of MDT technical info at Aaron's site, there was also a PDF compendium and summarization of MDT notes cherry picked from threads on Dankowski Detectors.  Do a Google search on "Tarsacci MDT 8000 Usage Notes" and it will hit on the Part 1 and Part 2 PDFs you can download and use for future reference.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Are you talking non-ferrous Trash or ferrous trash?

Both. Tarsacci is very good at telling what is iron in my experience. The nonferrous must be taken individually. Some, like pull tabs are just all but impossible to get around, others like foil can usually be ignored completely with a little salt balance. Can slaw will usually have a ragged edge, but sometimes will be dug too.

But as a relic hunter, the MDT would be the last machine with which I would venture into an area polluted with aluminum or similar non-ferrous trash due to it's tonal limitations and sub-par ID stability.

I agree that this is not what I would use in that situation. For what I do, I ignore iron but for the Mixed Mode contribution it gives. Mixed mode is really the thing for me and I do not dig anything that I think is iron. If I had to hunt in disc mode I would choose something else, it is just too thin on target information. Relic hunting does not appeal to me, but if it did I would get a Deus II.

The thing I struggle with most is how to set up salt balance in hot dirt. 

I set mine at 43 as per Keith Southern and have found it does what I want usually. The only time I run it further is in places that are heavily fertilized. Fertilizer use is what makes this necessary for me in the first place, as I am a park hunter. Some places really gob it on there and it makes a difference to the detector. If the salt balance is too high, the machine gets dull even at high sensitivity. I will lower it on very clean sand if the signal is not coming clean enough, otherwise i just leave it at 43.

I always have the black sand setting on with it. If this does not give clean sound between targets, I will give ground balance a positive offset till it does. In some places that can be a substantial offset. The MDT has a very large GB range, even has a few hundred points past 999 where it starts over again with 500. Do not often need to go that far, but sometimes at some places, it will work when nothing else does.

I have found no case where a negative offset of ground balance is helpful, it makes the machine very chatty, but a positive one can change the nature of the machine completely. Try doing a ground grab then add 100, then 200, then 300, etc till it settles. You might be surprised. GB is one of the keys to hunting bad ground with this machine for me. I have even had success with one memorable site by GB over one of the rusty Bobby pins that were coming up every other sweep.

Regarding the lost nuggets of MDT technical info at Aaron's site, there was also a PDF compendium and summarization of MDT notes cherry picked from threads on Dankowski Detectors. 

I have those, and have read every word ever said about the Tarsacci on Tom Dankowski’s forum. I have searched the internet and every forum I could find for information on the Tarsacci. I do not keep current with it anymore, this is the only place I read and post now, the detector is basically simple once you learn what you can get away with.

The most important thing I have learned about the Tarsacci is how little and how much to get away with when hunting with it. I use the least sensitivity possible to get the depth I want, and threshold low too, then as much GB as needed around decayed iron.

I hunt fresh drop in parks and athletic fields. I am trying to ignore deep targets, especially iron ones. I sort out the surface stuff and dig a lot of pull tabs and anything else that sounds that good that is not obviously iron in the size I want. I size with a pinpointer or the pinpoint function when I am digging deeper in sand.