My Introduction To Detecting As A Child

That’s an awesome story! Not all all boring and too short! It’s great that you kept everything, all the memories!

• Like 1

Last year wasn't great for a lot of people. 

This year started out in a positive direction,hope it keeps going for ya !

If you think you're gonna post a story of how you got hooked on detecting and anybody here would get bored reading it. WRONG ! Those are the second best ones !

The first best are the ones featuring treasure ! 

You nailed it on both of 'em . (Oh , we'd have read it if all you found WERE nails too .....)

Your dad was awesome ! Glad you have those memories and starting detecting again will sure keep you occupied as much as you let it ! Your collection is looking like it wants some new friends to hang out with too !

You just hit a lucky streak on choosing this forum , keep 'er goin' and Welcome back.

• Like 2

What a great story, and what a great Dad!

• Like 2

Great post with some very nice pictures.

I enjoyed every line and glad that you have come back to this hobby.

Last year I did not get to get out there much, and I haven't had a chance this year so you got me beat already.

Good luck and keep the posts coming.

Great story and great dad. Thanks for posting this story. Need more like them.

Thanks for the great story! Sounds like your father and mine were polar opposites!

When I was young, my parents had dinner with some friends. The next morning, my father mentioned their host had shown him “a milk bottle full of gold rings” he had found metal detecting.

So, I remember thinking, when are WE getting one?

But he didn’t seem impressed with the treasure, and I figured if he had seen all that gold with his own two eyes and still didn’t want a metal detector, no amount of whining on my part would help. 

My father was an artist and good with his hands, but raised a city boy with no interest in outdoorsy stuff. He had a huge studio/workshop and I have many fond memories of making and repairing things with him. But I never got that image of a milk bottle full of gold out of my mind. (In my mind, it was a half-gallon jug full to the top with treasures.)

So when I retired last year I figured it was never too late to have a happy childhood and bought a very basic machine. I’ve had a blast ever since.

• Like 4