TDI Battery Pack Conversion

Dave Rosy

Hello, I'm new to this site, so bear with me if this question has been beat to death.

I have a TDI Beach Hunter and I want to upgrade the battery pack, since the Whites packs are more or less extinct now.

I was hoping to use the 3.7 V batteries (X3), but with how many mAh?

I want to find one of these as well (see picture).

Thank you very much! and happy hunting!

1649126734_opentrayorange.jpg.611fd2e177c6e3da7e30704076f5ddb9.jpg

Pictured you have 12.6 volts full charged with 3500mAh.. 18650 battery size ..the more mAh the longer the run time, also purchase quality cells, anything over 3500 mAh more than likely is junk in the 18650 size..

There has been several post on this subject if you do a search.

This is the battery I would recommend for your use..

https://www.bulkbattery.com/collections/wholesale-batteries/products/panasonic-ncr18650b#

Picture below is from here, someone else's picture, the 16.8 volt setup that can be used with the TDI BH..

And welcome to DP!

1643223963189.png

• Like 4

THANKS Joe with the battery spec's! UR awesome! GR8 to know these facts.

This pack looks like it plugs in for a charge.

I may do the type of pack that put the batteries in, since I already have the charger (and maybe the cells,,, they're at work and I'll have to check later).

Cheers and thanks for the valuable input.

• Like 1

Hello Dave,

Here’s the link for the 3D printed battery pack

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sn0wboarder/m.html?item=284510484925&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Stick with the 11.1v (nominal voltage for 3 x 18650 cells). I don’t recommend the 14.8v setup as the extra heat on parts of the PCB is really high and you are only gaining somewhere between 10% and 15% depth increase.

The TDI BeachHunter is an awesome “beach” detector but submerging it will eventually cause a leak as the O-Ring and screws are a bad design. You’ll crack the plastic tabs on the case if the screws are even slightly over tightened. Other than those avoidable problems, she’s a beast of a beach detector.

• Like 1

• The topic was pinned
8 hours ago, Tony said:

Hello Dave,

Here’s the link for the 3D printed battery pack

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sn0wboarder/m.html?item=284510484925&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Stick with the 11.1v (nominal voltage for 3 x 18650 cells). I don’t recommend the 14.8v setup as the extra heat on parts of the PCB is really high and you are only gaining somewhere between 10% and 15% depth increase.

The TDI BeachHunter is an awesome “beach” detector but submerging it will eventually cause a leak as the O-Ring and screws are a bad design. You’ll crack the plastic tabs on the case if the screws are even slightly over tightened. Other than those avoidable problems, she’s a beast of a beach detector.

Thanks Tony! But it appears the link is no longer good. I tried also doing a simple search on Ebay for the printed battery pack, but to no avail. Maybe he'll produce more, or somebody else will step up. I think I'll cool my boots on the boosted battery pack for now. I managed to scrounge up some original Whites packs for now. Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

1 hour ago, locator said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284625026990?hash=item4244f93fae:g:DfQAAOSwImRYDMxH

Got one from this seller. Took a few days, but it's a great thing as it fits all my White's detectors and you can swap the cells very easy.

2116145493_Li-IonSetup.thumb.jpg.6f551ec22ae1a770ce8f95db624d24cf.jpg

Well, that's a bit (more than a bit) of a bummer... "Does Not Ship To Canada"... Frustrating.

• Sad 1