TDI Battery Pack Conversion

Dave Rosy

On 1/21/2023 at 7:30 AM, JPS said:
thank you tony, but as I saw that many people increased their white's up to 18 or even 21 volts I inquire, I don't know anything about the pi. 16 volt i think is a good deal🙂

hello to all, I'm new to the site, I saw that on the tdi pro you could increase the voltage up to 21 volts and on the surfmaster how much can you increase the voltage, it's a box of 8 batteries for 12 volt. what is the difference in power between the surfmaster and the tdi pro oz and why, is it not the same components, thank you for your answer 

All the information you are asking for is contained in the thread and the related links. That’s why it is pinned here.

• 8 months later...

I have the original White's TDI with charger and [2] stock 14.4 Volt 4.4 Ah Li-ion battery packs. 

I haven't used it much since I purchased it new from a dealer in North Georgia many moons ago. 

Today I went to charge one of the packs and I noticed the charger getting a little warm. Is that normal? 

Thanks 

Yes, the charger normally gets warm, and if the battery is especially low the charger will get especially warm. For a battery that has been on the shelf for a year or more, I would closely monitor the charger to make sure it doesn't overheat.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Asked by a friend to make him a couple batteries for his, New to him TDI Pro, seems fairly easy so I order the parts. I did not feel comfortable about making him a 5 cell 18/21 volt Li-ion so we agreed on the 16.8. 4 cell..  For now... WIll post pictures. 

Parts came in today.. make this a thursday project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whites  TDI  Pro Parts list

Panasonic NCR18650GA 3450mAh Li-ion

Pigtail Barrel Plug Connector cable 2.5mm x 5.5mm Male and Female connectors

PVC Clear Heat shrink tube 95mm wide

Heat transfer tape 10mm Polyimide Brown

4s 10A 18650 BMS 16.8v Protection module

Tenergy Universal TLP3000 1.5a charger for Li-ion 4 cells 14.8v

Black assorted shrink tubing

Nickel strips assorted 2 inch

Battery Insulating rings   Red

Battery Insulating material   Gray 

18 gauge wire assorted colors   Red-Black-White-Yellow

422657655_370915652224465_8152899898411026003_n.thumb.jpg.58f3516a55db508b7a6acdcfd8a76373.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The original poster showed the 3D battery pack that can be purchased via ebay.  I have 2 that were part of a package of a TDI SL.  They do not fit into the TDI BeachHunter. 

I have converted a #802-7150 and #802-5321 battery packs now that hold 4x18650 batteries that can be used in my TDI SL in dry weather and the TDI BeachHunter when it rains.

My question is this:  With the extra voltage of the 4x18650s, will the original cable from contacts inside battery compartment of both models to the 2510 connector on main board be sufficient?

Should that cable be changed?  If so, what should the awg be?

I have not seen this issue discussed anywhere despite lots of posts on numerous forums worldwide extolling the advantages of the extra voltage.

Is it safe to use existing wire?