I Want To See What Minelab & Garrett Is Bringing To The Table

4 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

What's the difference between a V3 and a V3i? Are they the same in terms of hardware such that a V3 can update its software and become a V3i?

Its my understanding and experience that they are the same hardware wise. I have an early Vision that was upgraded to the V3i software and my buddy is running the v3 on original software and could have upgraded his unit but didnt want to fix something that isnt broken. 

Later on they did make some changes to the ribbon cable and there was a free fix for those with the dreaded shutdown issue. I experienced it and had to clean all my grounds and reset my ribbon cable. This was 7 or more years ago and no issues since.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2022 at 10:10 PM, Rick N. MI said:

With what has come out now, they have to push the limit of vlf or maybe something new. Can vlf be pushed anymore than it has already. 

I can imagine with what has come out, that they might have to rethink what they're working on. The top end detector competition is getting tough. It's time for something different than vlf.

Last year Minelab dropped their patent rights on their multi frequency technology and companies like Nokta Makro have started to utilize the techniques of Minelab into their new, supposedly first true, simultaneous multi-frequency machine the Legend.  Minelab is now seeking out patent rights to a new technology for a release in 2022 which will hopefully lead to the next chapter to the CTX line or quite possibly a Equinox 2.  Detectival 2022 is going to be incredible this fall!  

I've seen these rumours about Minelab dropping patents all over the internet and people saying that's how the Legend came to be, by using Minelabs old expired patents, I believe the patents are nothing to do with Minelab's modern multi frequency technology, Multi-IQ is new, it's not an alteration of their older BBS technology or anything like that, my understanding is their modern Multi Frequency technology methods are modern patents.

I doubt Nokta or XP benefited from old patents expiring and I doubt they're using the old techniques in their new detectors.

• Like 2

The Legend has been on the drawing board for about five years, it's unlikely that Nokta Makro copied Minelab's SMF patents.  I'm sure that any company making a SMF machine is going to take a look at any data they can.  That's no different then any other industry, but I do not believe that Nokta Makro blatantly copied Minelab's FBS/BBS technology patents.

7 hours ago, Jason-NEK said:

Last year Minelab dropped their patent rights on their multi frequency technology and companies like Nokta Makro have started to utilize the techniques of Minelab into their new, supposedly first true, simultaneous multi-frequency machine the Legend.

Patents normally expire 20 years after first filing, so their '360 patent (BBS/FBS) expired over 4 yrs ago. I've seen nothing from NM or XP that looks anything like the old ML sequential multifrequency. But they do look like the Equinox's simultaneous multifrequency, which first showed up in the White's DFX. In fact, one of the MF modes on the Deus 2 has the same waveform as the DFX. That's not a surprise, it's just how you do a 5th harmonic system.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2022 at 7:39 PM, Geotech said:

Patents normally expire 20 years after first filing, so their '360 patent (BBS/FBS) expired over 4 yrs ago. I've seen nothing from NM or XP that looks anything like the old ML sequential multifrequency. But they do look like the Equinox's simultaneous multifrequency, which first showed up in the White's DFX. In fact, one of the MF modes on the Deus 2 has the same waveform as the DFX. That's not a surprise, it's just how you do a 5th harmonic system.

Are there any advantages to running a sequential multifrequency vs. strictly simultaneous? It might even be interesting to see if the two approaches could be integrated into one machine. Is it true DFX was leased from Minelab as well?

Sequential has the advantage of perfect channel separation whereas simultaneous relies on imperfect channelization filtering. Sequential is also easier to alter frequency weighting.

The DFX saga is complicated. Yes, White's paid Minelab to license their '360 MF patent. This was actually initiated by White's at the insistence of one of the engineers. As it turned out, DFX didn't really infringe the '360 patent so White's just wasted a bunch of money.

• Thanks 2