Gold Monster Iron Signals Problem

I have a GM1000 which I have found some gold with. I have been fairly happy with it until today. I was out testing some buried targets with my GPX 4500. The GPX is still new to me and I am trying to figure out the settings. Anyway I decided to run the GM over the targets. A 2 gram nugget at about 8" and a 1 gram nugget at about 8". The GM could see the 2 gram fairly easily but it was a strong iron signal. It couldn't see the 1 gram. I can run the detector on auto plus with only minimal falsing in this ground. I dug the nuggets up and checked them. In air good non iron signals all the way through the detection range. Then I put a chunk of dirt about 2" thick on them. Now I was getting solid iron signals. No noticable loss of depth but all iron. Just for f uh n I pulled out my gold bug pro. About the same depth as the GM but when it gave an I'd it was a gold ID never an iron ID fe bars were indicating 2 max. The GM gave an ID further out than the GB but it was an iron signal. The GB didn't give an ID until much closer but when it did it said gold.

With the gold monster I wouldn't have dug those targets with the Gold Bug I would have. I know I should dig all targets in gold areas but part of the reason to have a VLF gold detector is to weed out at least some of the junk. 

Any thoughts?

I have a question about the gpx in a seperate thread. Thanks

Only concrete advice I can give on that Monster that may help you is to always check your target in manual 10 (2 quick clicks from auto plus), this will give you a bit more accurate info on the target and target won't balance out near as fast as in auto.

Many things, too lengthy to go into, can trick the semi reliable meter.  In time you'll understand the meter better....but do understand the meter is an aid only and not highly accurate..... 

Keep in mind that the closer the coil gets to the target the better that meter "thinks" it sees.  Sometimes a quick boot scrape and/or maybe a couple quick inches off with the pick will help for a better meter reading. Nice gold btw!

Just to ad.... I LOVE that Monster...!!!!!

• Like 2

Thanks, I also love the monster. I have done fairly well with it.  I will try the manual 10 idea.

I have used at GM2, vsat, gmt, Infinium, xterra 705 and GB pro. Now my current lineup GM1000 and GPX 4500 have found more gold than all those before. I turned my GB pro into a pinpointed sort of thing for when I am using the GPX. Not sure how this will turn out but fun anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Machineman said:

I turned my GB pro into a pinpointed sort of thing for when I am using the GPX. 

I also try and have the Monster close for PPing when using the PI's..... if the ground isn't too steep and/brushy.  I'll mark 6-8 targets with bright flouresant markers, set the PI down and chase targets with the Monster... can be a real time saver (for me anyways).

Thats a good idea, I get some flags or something. The last few days out have been awesome but I feel like I am missing lots of gold. Time to slow down and hit it hard. I'm thinking about getting one of the new evo or elite coils for my 4500. I like the looks of the 12x8 evo. I cracked my advantage coil the other day. I mostly hit creeks in my area. Its hard to stomach the price I dont know if its worth it for me yet. Thanks for the advise. 

I quickly learnt never to trust the gold chance indicator on the GM, just like I learnt not to trust the Target ID numbers on the Equinox when prospecting for gold, much more accurate on coin size targets but when it comes to gold dig it all or you're going to miss a lot of gold.  If the gold chance meter on the GM slams to the left on a larger shallow target it's fairly accurate but on anything deep forget it, dig it up.  The deeper or smaller the target  is the less accurate the gold chance indicator is.  I guess this goes for any detector with discrimination but it's very noticeable on the GM.

I too have noticed the Gold Bug Pro tends to more accurately ID gold than the GM, but it misses a lot of gold the GM finds.

On the plus side digging it all can pay off in many ways, the amount of times I've dug a bit of junk or a hot rock and rechecked the hole and found gold... 🙂

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

On the plus side digging it all can pay off in many ways, the amount of times I've dug a bit of junk or a hot rock and rechecked the hole and found gold... 🙂

This happened to me the other day. I hit a big signal with the GPX4500 and under it was the small bit in my other thread. Wouldn't have found it without the bullet. Not exactly the same but similar. Thanks I will look over The guides again. 

• Like 1

ALL DETECTORS have limits when it comes to proper ID.  You can take a 6 ounce solid gold nugget and there will be a certain depth that every detector made thinks it's IRON.  It's been that way for me the last near 50 yrs on every detector I've owned.

You the operator needs to learn when, where and how often to rely on the Target ID system.

Many PI detectors have IRON ID, but they have limits as well.  That's why so many folks simply say "dig it all".

I use IRON ID on closer targets near the surface but if in good gold terrain, I check more iffies and end up with more trash.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

You the operator needs to learn when, where and how often to rely on the Target ID system.

That's why so many folks simply say "dig it all".

Using a PI....by all means, dig it all.  My time is VERY valuable, I try and manage it to my advantage as I've only got so much time and squat/digs during the hunt. The disc/TID capabilities are there for a reason and it's wise to learn to use them as best as possible to increase your odds and help you decide to dig or walk on to another better target. If you dig everything with a disc/TID machine you're wasting some very VALUABLE time digging trash and probably NOT gold.  It's a #'s game and an odds game in the end....jmo

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

The deeper or smaller the target  is the less accurate the gold chance indicator is.  🙂

so true....