Gold Monster Iron Signals Problem

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Welcome to DP Tom and hoping your new GM-1000 is as productive as you can make it.

Thanks Gerry, I’m sure it will be. I also have a nox 800 but need to ease into it.

No, I’m not going to try differentiating targets by tone quality alone. I’ve already found a little piece of gold in my yard area along with several #6 shot, some foil, screws, solder etc.

ETA: I just referred a Robert Brown your way….

• Thanks 1

I haven't noticed anybody mention something I had learned during a trip to a good gold area in Alaska with my GM1000 - even large pieces of gold, whether shallow (4 in.) Or deeper (10 - 14 in.) typically always read to the iron side of meter most times initially, but sometimes would only briefly blip to gold side. So I ignored the indicator on first soundings, then would get much better accuracy reads by doing a couple extra passes reading strong iron and then immediately turn 90° and check the same target. I found much better accuracy of the meter reads were indicating gold upon turning direction.  Iron tagets would still read iron (I dug them anyway) and were verified, but the little blips to the gold side turned up some really nice pieces of gold (72 pieces) - up to 1/4 oz at 14 inches.  Later returning to Idaho, I have found this works quite well here also, so it has become a habit to NOT dismiss a target without multiple passes and in multiple directions checking with the meter indication. BTW, brass, aluminum, copper and lead targets read the same indications for me as if gold.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IDMineralSurveys said:

I haven't noticed anybody mention something I had learned during a trip to a good gold area in Alaska with my GM1000 - even large pieces of gold, whether shallow (4 in.) Or deeper (10 - 14 in.) typically always read to the iron side of meter most times initially, but sometimes would only briefly blip to gold side. 

Any nugget no matter the size can be fooled by every detector known.  There is always a certain depth that ID machines can not properly identify the target.  The other thing to watch is the matrix of the soil and the more mineralized the soil the less accurate and depth the ID machine has.

Part of the reason I prefer to hunt bigger gold in tailing piles is the lack of mineralized soils to mess with the ID of a detector, especially VLF.  On the flip side hot rocks can mask a good chunk of gold as well.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had a signal on my gpz7000 take me down to 2.5 feet which I know from experience in my area generally means huge gold, I swung the monster over it with 4” of dirt cover and it overloaded on iron with that nasty grunt and I ignored it, 6 lb 7 oz specimen with no iron oxides or sulfides of any kind in it. It didn’t swing to the right on the bar until I had the specimen out and put the detector right on top of it. Rule #1 don’t trust it lol

Reacting to the ground I guess, I've never liked the meter on the monster, very unreliable unless the signal is rather obvious.