Bill Watson's Gold Ring Vdi Chart, With Notes From Steve H

• The title was changed to Bill Watson's Gold Ring Vdi Chart, With Notes From Steve H

On 1/31/2022 at 10:16 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

high tone is for coins, including nickels.

On 1/31/2022 at 10:16 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

10% of the rings were in the nickel range

The two quoted sections are why my CZ20 was calibrated for nickles to give a mid-tone audio.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tvr said:

The two quoted sections are why my CZ20 was calibrated for nickles to give a mid-tone audio.

How in the world did you to get that to happen? I lobbied to have nickels put back in mid-tone in the CZ-20 for years, and was basically told it was impossible. The tone scheme made more sense for coin hunting than jewelry hunting. On the other hand, if your goal is to miss nothing however, may as well, use a PI and dig everything. The CZ is using the 80/20 rule, most bang for the dig.

For the amount of targets I've dug I seem to struggle to find rings, I blamed it on nobody losing them until a local guy (not absolute local but an NZ guy) posted his ring finds on Facebook, he took the liberty of saying the VDI number of each of the rings in a nice little display.  He did so for a guide to people so they know what ID's to look for with the Equinox/Vanquish.

1534659561_goldrings.jpg.8c97a19a6f3c67154e0d5b03dc61e5a2.jpg

9ct are by far the most common rings in NZ and AU, I believe they're not common at all in the USA.

It still doesn't explain why I don't find many rings, I dig almost all targets between 9 and 22 as they're mostly our good coin numbers, I've put it down to I've mostly been hunting sports fields used for Rugby which is a sport that was dominated by males until more recently.

Fisher was onto something with the CZ, perhaps something manufacturers could take note of in the future for jewellery modes.

• Like 3

Simon most of my gold rings ( and Carols ) were found at the beach. One beach in Queensland I got over 50 rings from it while on holidays. My brother in-law (now deceased) got 300+ before I went up to QLD for a holiday. He got onto the spot after some one showed him hundreds of rings they had got when a cyclone had removed most of the sand. Most of the gold rings there were 18 or 22 caret and very old and at low tide and below (Easter is one of times of extreme tides). My take of gold rings were 99% from beaches, and those that I was asked to find that the owners lost. As being a gold prospector I rarely use any discrimination and the table of ID in this post shows that a lot of junk sit in this range.

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

It still doesn't explain why I don't find many rings, I dig almost all targets between 9 and 22 as they're mostly our good coin numbers

I think Geof is spot on saying that beaches are the way to go for finding rings.. Thin gold rings read anywhere between those target IDs you mention, small silver rings scream even louder.. 

2 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Most of the gold rings there were 18 or 22 caret and very old and at low tide and below (Easter is one of times of extreme tides). My take of gold rings were 99% from beaches, and those that I was asked to find that the owners lost.

This also applies to Magnetic Island, I also find the good stuff after cyclones.. 

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

He did so for a guide to people so they know what ID's to look for with the Equinox/Vanquish.

Thanks for spreading the joy with old matey's target IDs for the Equinox.. They really show how much the target IDs on smaller, thinner gold rings can vary.. 

• Like 1