Bill Watson's Gold Ring Vdi Chart, With Notes From Steve H

14 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

The Target was a 5 gram 14k wedding band wedding band, The At Pro got it at 10 inches... the excalibur 14 inches, and that Hot CZ was hitting it at 18 inches.. but he had to be right above it and it was a Low like Iron. 

The fact that the CZ was so hot but had to be right above it was a blessing and a curse.  It was the concentric coil that made it so hot and go so deep BUT and it is a big BUT the coverage sucked.  Your overlapping the coil had to be extremely close if you were to get coverage at a consistent depth.  The DD coil of the other detectors gives so much better coverage but doesn't punch quite as deep as the very center of the cone shaped concentric coil detecting field.  I used CZs on CW battle sites and campsites and dug some amazingly deep Minnie balls but it would take me forever to cover a site.  That was why everyone coveted the FZ12 because you could just get more coverage as well as a bit more depth.  Just my 2 cents on one of the reasons why the CZs are so hot. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, cuniagau said:

The fact that the CZ was so hot but had to be right above it was a blessing and a curse.  It was the concentric coil that made it so hot and go so deep BUT and it is a big BUT the coverage sucked.  Your overlapping the coil had to be extremely close if you were to get coverage at a consistent depth.  The DD coil of the other detectors gives so much better coverage but doesn't punch quite as deep as the very center of the cone shaped concentric coil detecting field.  I used CZs on CW battle sites and campsites and dug some amazingly deep Minnie balls but it would take me forever to cover a site.  That was why everyone coveted the FZ12 because you could just get more coverage as well as a bit more depth.  Just my 2 cents on one of the reasons why the CZs are so hot. 

Yes, the cone effect.. 

Just knowing where the target was can make all the difference with the concentric. I used one on my Infinium, and Sea Hunter. The LS you can see the DD was weak..

22 hours ago, phrunt said:

You're probably right, the rings I have found have been purely by accident 🙂

So are mine but at least we can fool our selves into thinking we are doing something right 🙂 

strick

• Haha 1

I thought I would add some more published information about Fisher's discrimination scale and gold rings. I still have my Fisher CZ6a and wouldn't mind finding a hot CZ5. It has been my best detector on nickels and gold rings. Ideal discrimination scale that I wish would be revisited with modern tech.

16442061748201251196611977481214.jpg

1644206202337835495562547798487.jpg

• Like 6

On 2/3/2022 at 1:07 AM, Skate said:

so the chance of making a wet sand find with a clear tone and ID on the first pass is as a rare as getting a Deus II in the first shipment

It seems we are on the same ship😅😅😅😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have never dug a for real gold ring in almost 5 years of land hunting. Junk rings many. gold plated/filled a couple. I'm not a surface target hunter. I don't dig many targets that are not at least 4" deep. You would think I would have dug at least one by now. You would also think there would be more deeper gold rings than shallow gold rings anyway simply because of the more lost over time element. I dig my share of old nickels and IHP's so I'm cursed I guess.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

I have never dug a for real gold ring in almost 5 years of land hunting. Junk rings many. gold plated/filled a couple. I'm not a surface target hunter. I don't dig many targets that are not at least 4" deep. You would think I would have dug at least one by now. You would also think there would be more deeper gold rings than shallow gold rings anyway simply because of the more lost over time element. I dig my share of old nickels and IHP's so I'm cursed I guess.  

I don't think your cursed,  I've never found a gold anything on land. When I switched from land to water I put myself in a more likely place and all changed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:16 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

White’s VDIs are down the left, Minelab down the right. Weight in grams is across the bottom. Notice the nickel’s position in the center of the chart.”

Bill Watson's Gold Ring VDI Chart

Would depth be the third variable, omitted in this chart, which would correlate with lowering the VIDs for any of those rings?

On 2/7/2022 at 8:00 PM, mcjtom said:

Would depth be the third variable, omitted in this chart, which would correlate with lowering the VIDs for any of those rings?

These are air tests.

My post just information for those who like playing the odds, not a suggestion on how people should detect. I generally just dig all non-ferrous myself.