Claim Jumpers

As I stated in my posting of the journal, we are experiencing claim jumpers just like Jed did back in 1936. Nothing much changes over 86 yrs. The claim is well posted. We even posted a claim sign on a tree right where the claim jumper have a huge hole going and are high grading $500/yd gravels. We put up game cams. They stole them. They are coming in when no one is there.  So today I contacted the Sherif's Dept. They said it is not their issue & to contact the Forest Service. The Forest Service says it's a civil issue except for the stolen cams. They told me to find out who they are and take them to court. I had thought mineral theft was a criminal offense. Am I supposed to walk up to them and ask them for their identification? I don't think that would work out too well. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, DOOGY-MD said:

Time for the camo tiger pit trap or tree net trap!

Perhaps.

If they are legit claims then it would be Mineral Trespass, unless something has changed. I use to put my cameras up high and pointed them dwn with a wedge made from 2x4's then secured them with a Python Cable, worked Great, after a few photos of claims jumper's posted at local coffee shop's  this Shit Stopped !!!!!! Good Luck !!!!

• Like 2

The funny thing is we would need to show proof they even took gold. What should we fo, get

32 minutes ago, Dig It said:

If they are legit claims then it would be Mineral Trespass, unless something has changed. I use to put my cameras up high and pointed them dwn with a wedge made from 2x4's then secured them with a Python Cable, worked Great, after a few photos of claims jumper's posted at local coffee shop's  this Shit Stopped !!!!!! Good Luck !!!!

One camera was high up on a tree. A ladder was used to put it up there and they somehow saw it & took it. The other was near an entry point where someone would park but it was well hidden. They got that one also. My partner is seeing a green Dodge Dakota with a cap driving up & down the road when he was camped there. He said it went by a dozen times. That might be the claim jumper, not sure. 

• Like 3

I would walk up to them with your phone on while recording their faces, the vehicle they drive, the license plate and ask for their names.  If they do not provide their ID cards, simply tell them their faces will soon be across the internet, local eateries and bars as well as the Sheriff's office and of course post on the forum.  Now you don't need to do that at all, but the guilt trip on them would make for a long drive home.  I doubt they would be back anytime soon, at least not in the same rig.

Realize, In some states folks are walking into businesses in the middle of the day, filling up pockets/bags and walking out without paying.

The other option and you might think I am totally nuts.  Ask them to help and work with you.  Now at least you can get knowledge they have to help your recovery efforts. 

Either way it seems owning a claim for a small scale miner or detectorist is getting harder to justify.  I personally know folks who spend to much time worrying about others they think who are going on their claims and finding gold.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I would walk up to them with your phone on while recording their faces, the vehicle they drive, the license plate and ask for their names.  If they do not provide their ID cards, simply tell them their faces will soon be across the internet, local eateries and bars as well as the Sheriff's office and of course post on the forum.  Now you don't need to do that at all, but the guilt trip on them would make for a long drive home.  I doubt they would be back anytime soon, at least not in the same rig.

Realize, In some states folks are walking into businesses in the middle of the day, filling up pockets/bags and walking out without paying.

The other option and you might think I am totally nuts.  Ask them to help and work with you.  Now at least you can get knowledge they have to help your recovery efforts. 

Either way it seems owning a claim for a small scale miner or detectorist is getting harder to justify.  I personally know folks who spend to much time worrying about others they think who are going on their claims and finding gold.

I normally don't worry about that stuff. We have 2 creeks on the mine and I don't care if people pan as long as they keep it contained to certain areas. But highgrading rich ground where they are taking ounces of gold is something completely different. I guess the only way to stop it is to make sure someone is there most of the time. We may have to get tougher on them and protect our ground. I pay taxes and fees and they don't. 

• Like 6

Cellular cameras would be a help, you'd get a photo of the perp that stole your camera while they are doing it. No one touches mine 😁 of course you'd have to have signal out there.

It can be an expensive loss tho 🤔

• Like 1