Claim Jumpers

19 minutes ago, Swegin said:

I will say that those are two good looking pans.  How much material was processed for those pans?

Its the same pan cleaned up. This is near Jed's dig site and very high grade. 

• Like 2

Well i got messaged and our younger crew was staked out when the high graders (2 of them) came back. They had their truck and plates spotted previously. The fur flew. I am hearing it got ugly and they won't be back. Wish I had been there. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Oh my! 1

Nothing wrong with using a little muscle to get things handled.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DOOGY-MD said:

Glad to hear those varmints were taken care of properly! Gotcha!!

and no lead was scattered across the land...not yet anyway.

Claim jumpers are a big problem for all. I only had one claim, luckily my partner was a local Policeman. We kept very quiet about the claim as it was only 250 meters from the end of a town lane. Before putting in for the claim, we both gridded all it over the chosen area first. It was a hand tools only claim. We had to comply with some stupid regulations, for instant if we had any motor or vehicle on the claim they required 200 Lt of water on site for fire protection ( I guess with our keenness there might have been many sparks flying off our picks etc. ). The problems of claim jumper were reduced when my mate caught a couple of guys detecting the claim. He asked them if they had permission from the owners of the claim. They said they did, that is where he said, I am one of the claim owners and you have been trespassing on my claim and an additional crime is that you lied to an officer of the police. He said let that be a lesson and tell your mate to keep clear, and let them go with a warning. Prior to our claim some illegal grading had be done over the surface area down to the shallow lead, but they left some virgin ground on the other side of it than the shallow working on the other side of the claim. This patch/claim yielded 26 ounce on the first day to me, 19 oz. before lunch and 7½ Oz after I got Carol and one of my mates after lunch to work the spot. My work mate got a 23 gm bit as well as he walked across the small area that I told him was my exclusive spot the rest was open ground. I said he could keep it as he was not gridding the area and Midas was on his side. Let get back to the topic I would not make a claim on any ground if detectors and hand tools are only to be allowed, machinery if required might might be a different story.

I remember being out detecting a few years ago when I heard a vehicle approaching. The only track to where I was, was the fresh one made by me bashing my way through the scrub that morning. He was obviously following my wheel tracks.

I put my detector into the back of the Ute and got out my chair and Kelly kettle and fired it up for a coffee and waited.

About 5 minutes later a Ute pulls in and this dude jumps out, looks me up and down, looks at a few boot scrapes I’d done and then says “you’re on my lease!”

I said, “sorry mate, this is xxxxxx’s lease and I’ve got permission to be here”.

He looks to the sky for inspiration then declares “you’re on my pastoral lease!”

I said “ oh sorry mate, are you the pastoralist?”

He replied “no, the pastoralist lives in Perth, I’m the manager”.

I said “that’s odd, the pastoralist actually lives in Kalgoorlie and I’m the manager”.

He then gave me a mouthful, jumped back in his Ute and bashed his way back out the way he came in.

‘After a couple of minutes I thought bugger it, I’ll follow him and see where he camped. I followed his track back and found him camped on a friends PL ( prospecting license) hooking up his camper about to high tail it out of there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1