Claim Jumpers

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Cellular cameras would be a help, you'd get a photo of the perp that stole your camera while they are doing it. No one touches mine 😁 of course you'd have to have signal out there.

It can be an expensive loss tho 🤔

There is no signal out there. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

There is no signal out there. We'll just settle it the old school way.

This is what they're after.

IMG_20190902_193831 (2).jpg

IMG_20190831_235355.jpg

• Like 4

If anyone isn't familier with this mine and claim jumpers and worse you might want to check the miners journal from 1936 i'm posting here called "LOST GOLD AT THE DEAD MAN'S MINE ** A MINERS JOURNAL". I haven't got it all up yet but have been posting entries every day. 

• Like 1

A neighbor has not had any cell service where he lives, so when Star Link came about he installed the system in his area. He now has all his trail cameras tied to the internet powered by solar.

He has never had a camera stolen after the signs went up with the system.

I really hope that you catch the scum that has been stealing from you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good private security guard could be an option since the locals passed the buck around...

Guess you could use that excavator on the access road to slow down their production rate....plus you could fill in the hole !😛

Claim jumpers have existed as long as mining claims, and it sucks. I usually found that most people cant find gold to save their lives, so not a big deal normally. But as you note, and entirely different case when you find a guy camping on the claims running a 6" dredge for a month. Or simply being overrun by hit and run detectorists because the ground is too easy for everyone to get to.

No great answers from me, other than to note like many that game cameras has been one of the biggest things that have made a change in capturing info on the who. It's getting any serious legal action that is the real problem in a lot of locations. You simply have to weigh the costs of being high-graded, versus the difficulty and expense  of doing anything about it.

• Like 2

Since the BLM and sheriffs have shirked their law enforcement responsibilities regarding mineral trespass, and to be clear, mineral trespass is a criminal infraction (up to a felony depending on the law) which can and should be enforced - it's up to a claim owner to pursue civil litigation. A time consuming and costly process since law enforcement has failed miners in this respect. 

One should be very aware that in civil litigation you not only need to prove who the party is, but also the quantity of damages they caused. 

In other words, you can file a suit, prove there was a trespass, prove it was X person. And it won't mean anything in civil litigation if you can't prove what they took and what your compensation should be. So, it's not good enough just to get their picture, you need to document proof of exactly what they took and any other damages they caused.

You cannot pursue criminal charges in civil litigation. You can seek damages.

As mentioned by others, this is why people hire caretakers or just monitor their claims in person daily. Document any claim jumpers in the process, not just for ID but also to show what damages have occurred. 

It's also another in a long list of reasons why recreationalists shouldn't file mining claims, an instrument which Congress and the law intends specifically for commercial usage only - civil litigation is costly and time consuming, and loss of recreation is hard to value whereas loss of business is tangible.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, jasong said:

Since the BLM and sheriffs have shirked their law enforcement responsibilities regarding mineral trespass, and to be clear, mineral trespass is a criminal infraction (up to a felony depending on the law) which can and should be enforced - it's up to a claim owner to pursue civil litigation. A time consuming and costly process since law enforcement has failed miners in this respect. 

One should be very aware that in civil litigation you not only need to prove who the party is, but also the quantity of damages they caused. 

In other words, you can file a suit, prove there was a trespass, prove it was X person. And it won't mean anything in civil litigation if you can't prove what they took and what your compensation should be. So, it's not good enough just to get their picture, you need to document proof of exactly what they took and any other damages they caused.

As mentioned by others, this is why people hire caretakers or just monitor their claims in person daily. Document any claim jumpers in the process, not just for ID but also to show what damages have occurred. 

It's also another in a long list of reasons why recreationalists shouldn't file mining claims, an instrument which Congress and the law intends specifically for commercial usage only.

Agree. We are commercial & will resolve the issue. My beef is with the Sheriffs Dept. I am supposed to identify and take stolen property from thieves which should be their job. I can see it now - walking up to a claim jumper with a notepad and asking for his name and address and how much gold did he steel LOL.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1