So Can We Be Critical Of Deus II Here?

Chase Goldman

Chase, is there a 1/8" audio jack anywhere on the Deus 2 remote control or on the WS6. If not, I am assuming that the only way to plug external wired headphones into Deus 2 is via the horseshoe adapter that attaches to the WS6 controller or WSAll audio puck and is an accessory. Is that correct? There doesn't appear to be any other way to use 1/8" or 1/4" plug headphones unless XP is making an adapter cable that connects to the waterproof port on the back of the remote control.

Just noticed in the manual that XP lists an audio jack cable that screws into the back of the remote control using the waterproof connector. It appears to be an accessory.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 9:58 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

Chase, is there a 1/8" audio jack anywhere on the Deus 2 remote control or on the WS6. If not, I am assuming that the only way to plug external wired headphones into Deus 2 is via the horseshoe adapter that attaches to the WS6 controller or WSAll audio puck and is an accessory. Is that correct? There doesn't appear to be any other way to use 1/8" or 1/4" plug headphones unless XP is making an adapter cable that connects to the waterproof port on the back of the remote control.

The short answer is yes, they make an adapter cable to enable connecting a wired headset to the remote control multi-pin, multi-function connector and offer it as an accessory.  Check the Deus II user manual list of Deus II accessories on page 44.  I run through the issue in excruciating detail in this post:

• Like 1

As someone that has used Deus 1 and the ORX, my thoughts are, I always had trouble seeing the Deus 1 target ID whether using the XY display, the horseshoe display or the other display which I can't remember too much about. I don't like the Deus 1's target ID's popup with the dark background and light numbers. No amount of adjusting the brightness or contrast helped.

Deus 2 seems to have followed in Deus 1's footsteps. I wish Deus 2's design had instead copied something similar to the outstanding ORX popup target ID display with its light background and dark numbers along with its large size.

Deus-Control-Box-1024x603.jpg

xp-orx-obzor-metalloiskatel-7-768x433.jpg

• Like 9

I was hoping that the "Silencer" could be locked in its value with the D2.  Never got an explanation on why it reverts back to its original value when changing "Reactivity" I believe with the D1.

• Like 1

Chase, thanks for doing this thread. It will no doubt be added to quite a bit as the D2 makes its way into more hands. Hopefully software controlled complaints like the way the T.ID  number reverts back to program mode too quickly will be easily fixed in a software update. The sooner these concerns are related to XP- the sooner that will occur. 

• Like 2

"The Coil heartbeat indicator: there is concern that it will cause premature drain of the coil battery"

Speaking as an electronics engineer, the extra power drain caused by the LED, and associated electronics, is completely trivial. As there is no proper On/Off switch for the coil, there is inevitably going to be some drain, you just have to trust the designers to keep this to realistic levels. And there's no need for them to go to extreme measures, either, as the Li cell will self-discharge anyway.

----

I've not followed the D2 threads closely, but wasn't the pinpoint function considered inconvenient to use?

Anyone who has used trigger-operated pinpoint, such as the Teknetics T2, will know how intuitive and ergonomic it can be. So an over-complex system is undesirable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Deus 2 seems to have followed in Deus 1's footsteps. I wish Deus 2's design had instead copied something similar to the outstanding ORX popup target ID display with its light background and dark numbers along with its large size.

Frankly, that's also what I was hoping for too.  It's hard for me to judge from static videos  without having the unit in hand and using it in the field. I tend to keep my eye on the coil, and listen to audio cues to quickly glance at the remote screen for a number rather than fixate on the TID displayed.  I believe that I will focus on the upper linear display more and I like the D2 redesign of the horseshoe display compared to D1 and it may change the way I use horseshoe.. The responsiveness of the TID indicator gives subtle feedback as to the strength of the target signal and I would hate for it to persist too long after the target signal is lost, but I think there is an optimal balance point that can be achieved or XP can make it a user preference adjustable setting.

1 hour ago, AV-Digger said:

I was hoping that the "Silencer" could be locked in its value with the D2.  Never got an explanation on why it reverts back to its original value when changing "Reactivity" I believe with the D1.

My understanding is that this is on the list for a future update.  I think Iffy Signals mentioned this in one of his review/test/comparison videos for Deus II/Legend.  Deus users have been scratching their heads on this one for years, and have previously provided this feedback.  We'll see if it gets addressed this time.

• Like 1

The most important things that are missing from D2:

1. Manual ground balance in multi (FMF) programs

2. Static modes (Deus 1 has 3 static modes)

3. Does the equalizer work for the RC speaker?

4. Audio from Deus 1