So Can We Be Critical Of Deus II Here?

Chase Goldman

2 hours ago, TBPA said:

In my ideal world, there would be a PC interface where you could create, save, and delete custom programs as well as manage screen layouts. 

The CTX has that for custom programs.

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but I think through all this discussion and input we've arrived at the biggest problem of the D2 and also its potential salvation. Granted, the D2 is clearly the most technologically advanced detector made at this point, but it seems to me that their focus has been on previous Deus users.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I think they have a chance to lock in their place at the top for a long time to come if they if they just change the RC software to make the user interface much more user customizable, not just two screen settings that D1 user are use to. If they want to conquer the worldwide market of detectorists who have never used an XP, make the D2 customizable with a user interface that can be modified to as many different detecting styles as possible, and thereby make the D2 more comfortable and user friendly for a huge user base, the aging population. Let's face it, XP has always been about ergonomics, but that little screem crammed with too much data at one time is anything but ergonomic.

As people have mentioned, this customization can be done with cellphones and electronic watches, so surely it can be done with the D2 remote to more of a degree as well. Now I'm not suggesting they add a dancing mouse on the screen (unless they partner with Disney), but allowing users to set up the interface that works best for them would remove one of the largest obstacles to an exponentially larger user and sales base. 

• Like 3

If you're got reliable Target ID's why not flaunt them, show those suckers on the screen in a big easy to see format, let them hang around for a while so you get plenty of time to see them and bask in the glory of having good ID's.  When you've got stable reliable ID's on a detector you want to use them and take advantage of them as a feature.  I've read many times Deus 1 users say the ID's were terrible and unreliable and it was a tones machine, you hunt by tones not ID, now they appear to have good ID's but left the machine as a hunt by tones machine instead of taking advantage of the ID's.  Simple fix you'd think, I hope they do it.

The designers, engineers and current Deus user base are tones people, I get it, but there are plenty of new customers coming from detectors with good ID's that like to use ID's, do they want us as customers too or would they prefer to stick to their current customers. 

You've now got good reliable ID's XP, flaunt them!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Loren said:

The Equinox 800 startup sound is something every detectorists knows and I personally get a rush of dopamine when I hear it play (because my body is conditioned to hear it right before one of my favorite activities!)

Funny because I hate it.  I don’t need everyone on the beach staring at me until it decides to pair up with my headphones. :laugh:

I would rather just blend into the background and the fact that it blasts off like that until it connects drives me nuts.

Different strokes.  I get the Pavlovian response, though.  

4 hours ago, Loren said:

They are positioning their product as the futuristic, high tech detector, but the screen and branding have the personality of a TI-83 calculator.

I hear you but unless XP sees it actually hurting sales, they are probably not going to take it to that level.  We are talking top down engineer/detectorist introvert culture here not twitch gamer RGB flash.  It’s just not who XP is.  XP is Alain Loubet, reserved technogeek detectorist. Substance over style.  Not larger than life Elon Musk with a sense of humor and voice control Easter eggs that make a car sing Happy Birthday on your birthday.  Substance plus Style.

Not saying that’s the way it should be, just the way it probably is…

• Like 2

The main issue i have found the MI6 has now glitched on four occasions it still remains paired but does not connect you have to unpair it then pair it to get it working.

We all know why Audio Response provides a useful benefit. When you turn it down to level 3 you are adjusting the audio dynamics. The deep target is not lost in the louder tones because it has a lower volume. Please correct me if that is wrong.

How many decibel levels are available for customization on the Equalizer? Three level choices: low, mid, high? If you want to obtain useful customization across the four available bands then you need at least four decibel level options for the user to be able to fully impart custom dynamics across output volume. You would prefer at least five levels to provide even more capable separation of the four bands to enhance the users control and obtain the sound quality benefit of custom dynamism.

How does the pinpoint operate? Is it one button press to engage PP and another press to disengage?  I will only use it if it’s engaged only while button is depressed. I also hate a glaringly loud pinpoint volume. If it’s not fast and easy I won’t use it. 

31 minutes ago, TBPA said:

Take for instance something as simple as making the ws6 puck as the master and mounting it to the stem. We’ll you can’t just do that without other parts and the manual doesn’t address that.  

I could have sworn the WS6 stem adapter mount was listed on the accessories page of the manual.

Update:  I get it.  P. 33 which walks through the procedure to select the WS6 as master just states you can clip it to the stem without mentioning the necessity of the stem clip accessory that is listed on the accessory page.

Yeah, the manual is not perfect and there is always room for improvement, so keep pointing that stuff out.  No excuses, but it is a significant step up from the Deus 1 manual where you basically had to rely on Andy Sabisch's Deus  Handbook even for basic operation of the machine.  In fact in Europe, the Andy Sabisch book was included in the Deus 1 box.

19 minutes ago, TBPA said:

And I get it. You can’t make a perfect manual. I’m happy with the D2 manual and it’s addendums thus far. I was just throwing those thoughts out there as food for thought.

Sometimes it’s hard for manufactures  immersed in so much detail to see the simplistic details that can cause confusion for the newcomers. At work I try to bridge that gap and hope I can here as well by giving a semi-intelligent, alternative perspective. 

Yep.  It's important to give the feedback because these more subtle gaps will be revealed once hundreds and thousands of new eyes hit the manual and start scrutinizing it.