Minelab Coil Differences

longbow62

Can someone explain why coils are different between a CTX and a Equinox? Or an Etrac and a Equinox? What's going on with the coils that makes each model not compatible with other models? I understand we are talking about 3 different types here FBS, FBSII, Multi-IQ. It just seems odd to me to put something in the coils that make them function only with the model they were designed for.

• Like 1

Some light reading

• Like 1

In the first place .. there are coils where the coil is forced and the electronics of the coil .... are designed under the type of detector technology as well as the frequency that the detector uses, ..
and the difference between FBS/ Etrac technology, CTX 3.3 khz -28 khz / and Multi-IQ / Equinox technology, Vanquish 5khz-40khz / is really big ...

here it is said the coils for FBS technology have long been compatible ... among the various generations of FBS detectors such as Explorer/Quatro, and  Etrac / Safari.

FBS2 technology was developed only for the CTX 3030 detector ... and the coils will only work on the CTX 3030 detector ...

Keep in mind that with newer and more advanced detector technicians, the development and construction of coils also goes ahead .. where a certain part of the RX preamplifier and other electronics is and will be placed in the coil ...

Atrex .jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, longbow62 said:

Can someone explain why coils are different between a CTX and a Equinox? Or an Etrac and a Equinox? What's going on with the coils that makes each model not compatible with other models? I understand we are talking about 3 different types here FBS, FBSII, Multi-IQ. It just seems odd to me to put something in the coils that make them function only with the model they were designed for.

It is normal for machines with different circuits to have different coils. Your detector examples - that's just normal. If a detector is basically just a reboxed version of something else, then it can share coils. See Fisher 19 kHz detectors, or White's MXT series for examples.

More on point then for your question would be Equinox and Vanquish. Vanquish is a Multi-IQ machine, basically a stripped subset of Equinox. Almost zero reason why those detectors could have not shared coils. But they do not. Simple answer - Minelab does not want them to share coils, and made sure they would not. They are in business to make money, and doing it that way sells more coils for them.

Why do the CTX, GPZ 7000, and Equinox all use a different wireless audio module, when one would work for all three? See last answer.

• Like 2