Smallest Coil For GPX 5000?

mn90403

As I was doing some domestic chores this evening the thought rolled into my head: "What is the smallest coil that was made for the GPX 5000?"

When I bought mine in 2010 it came with an 8" Commander coil that was a lot of fun to use.  I've since been told that a fair number of them went bad.  I think mine is bad now.  So that leaves me with larger coils and I think the smallest 'nose' I have is on the Coiltek Platypus coil.  That is not very small.

What is a killer pointy coil or small coil for the 5000?

• Like 1

8"X6" Nugget Finder "Sadie" mono, 8" Detech Mono and I believe Coiltek still makes an 8" round mono.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Coiltek have a 6" round mono

coiltek-goldstalker-6.png

I don't know if it's discontinued, Coiltek have been discontinuing a lot of GPX coils the past couple of years.  The 9" Elite still exists but it's round, I'd prefer it over any of the 8" round bundle wound coils like the Detech and Commander.

The 12x6" semi spiral X-coil is very pointy for getting into little spots although they've stopped doing the legacy GPX coils.

The Sadie is your best bet for the smallest elliptical coil, it's the only of the advantage series Nugget Finder haven't yet discontinued.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Would the 10X6" elliptical coil that Coiltek made specifically for the SDC2300 work on a GPX 5000????

56 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Would the 10X6" elliptical coil that Coiltek made specifically for the SDC2300 work on a GPX 5000????

I’d get the 5x10 Commander made for the machine before I’d take that experimental move, or find a 5x10 Coiltek. Even Detech makes a 6x11.

21D37AF2-C1E5-44F5-A1E2-C9E72C06CE8E.jpeg
072BFA2D-DB4F-43F0-9836-7B5EB2D8902A.jpeg

detech-coils-for-minelab-sd-gp-gpx.jpg

I have the Coiltek 10x5" Joey, the advantage it's got is its fully waterproof.  The problem is I believe it's also discontinued.

As these manufacturers are moving onto other detectors the GPX series are starting to lose their masses of coils,  I guess its a case of follow the money.

I also have the Detech 15x8" Mono, very insensitive coil.  The Coiltek Joey is pretty good however if you can find one of them.

It's hard to go past a Sadie for the size though.

• Like 1

Yes, the Sadie is readily available, one of the few that are not either discontinued or just not really held in stock anywhere.

The Coiltek 9" Elite which is a spiral wound coil and more sensitive than the bundle wound Sadie is good value in NZ, $260 NZD, with no tax needing paid for international orders so $173 USD plus shipping to get it to the US.   Probably end up cheaper than the Sadie for a US person to buy it in NZ for a more sensitive coil.

https://www.dredgenz.co.nz/product/coiltek-9-elite-mono/

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, phrunt said:

...So $173 USD plus shipping to get it to the US.   Probably end up cheaper than the Sadie for a US person to buy it in NZ for a more sensitive coil.

Hold the phone!  Did I just read that a guy who has pulled half of his 40-something hair out (seems to have grown back nicely, though, unless that's a dating site photo :biggrin:) dealing with trans-Pacific (USA-->AUS-->NZ) shipping is recommending someone pay for the reverse direction headaches?