Smallest Coil For GPX 5000?

mn90403

I wish these small sniping coils were available with all their PI Detector’s. I’m not sure when these were in production or why they stopped making these, seems like there would be a huge market for them.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

That's so cool, looks like some sort of experimental coil that they've made out of PVC pipe with plumbing fittings.  It looks like it'd have very sensitive edges explaining the height with the windings going up the sidewalls to fit them in there.  I want one!  I want one real bad.

Those tiny coils were meant as a pinpointing probe, John Kah made them himself I believe and are a stacked mono which is why they're so high (tall). They came with a switch attachment to direct the signal from the coil to the probe and vice-versa. Haven't been made since the 2200 was new I reckon 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 1 year later...

Years ago I had a 3” Diamond Weave wound to the Minelab specification of 300uH by the gentleman below. I put it into a plastic housing with a short handle, similar to the Coiltek coil. I clipped onto the GPX 5000 shaft when not in use. I mounted a small switch box just forward of the detector box that allowed me to toggle from the large mono search coil to this 3” mono pinpointer coil. It worked quite well.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/beautiful_coils.html

240uH 15pin_enamel_narrow_16.jpg

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

I would love one of those for really trashy cellar holes. Just on the lip of the hole. Chet, do you remember how deep it would go? 4" or a bit more?

In those days I was detecting in hydraulic pits so it pinpointed a lot of square nails, bullets and junk at pretty good depth as to size. It really helped to find objects in the side of the hole since the larger coils seem to indicate that the target is straight down at the bottom center. Small nuggets around a gram in fine gold mode at a few inches. Larger nuggets could be 4 to 5 inches or more according on size.

• 10 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 12:59 PM, phrunt said:

I have the Coiltek 10x5" Joey, the advantage it's got is its fully waterproof.  The problem is I believe it's also discontinued.

As these manufacturers are moving onto other detectors the GPX series are starting to lose their masses of coils,  I guess its a case of follow the money.

I also have the Detech 15x8" Mono, very insensitive coil.  The Coiltek Joey is pretty good however if you can find one of them.

It's hard to go past a Sadie for the size though.

You say the 15x8 detech is not very sensitive on small gold?

27 minutes ago, Tyler said:

You say the 15x8 detech is not very sensitive on small gold?

that's correct, I got rid of that coil I was so disappointed in it. 

9 minutes ago, phrunt said:

that's correct, I got rid of that coil I was so disappointed in it. 

I have all DD commander coils for relic hunting in Virginia. 10x5, 11, 15x12. I also have a big box TDI with a 12 inch mono. I haven’t tried my hand with gold yet. I was thinking of getting a mono coil that I can use on the GPX. Like an 11, or 8 or and elliptical mono. I don’t know if it worth investing in one or use what I have. 

You're very well equipped already I would think for relics, where some of the more modern better coils excel such as the Flat (spiral) wound coils is extra sensitivity to smaller targets, for example a 14x9" Spiral coil is likely going to be as sensitive as your 10x5" if not more so yet obviously deeper being bigger.  

Also, a mono coil will go deeper, for example a 12" mono is going to be deeper on the GPX than the 15x12" DD.    The mono's will be much worse for EMI though.

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

You're very well equipped already I would think for relics, where some of the more modern better coils excel such as the Flat (spiral) wound coils is extra sensitivity to smaller targets, for example a 14x9" Spiral coil is likely going to be as sensitive as your 10x5" if not more so yet obviously deeper being bigger.  

Also, a mono coil will go deeper, for example a 12" mono is going to be deeper on the GPX than the 15x12" DD.    The mono's will be much worse for EMI though.

Yeah my main concern is having a good all around coil for gold. Which ones are spiral wound? I have a mix of good ground, moderate and hot that I hunt.