Fisher 19 Or Xterra 705

3 hours ago, Dasbear said:

I am seriously looking at the Eq 600 I've found it for $649. at amazon and ebay but would rather spend my money at a "detector shop" vs a mega store. The other thing I'm concerned with is my budget started at $500. the Equinox 600 will easily go over $700. After tx which is really pushing the RED zone. On the plus side the equinox would slowly pay for itself every time I use it.

I would not purchase the Eq 600 from amazon or eBay as they charge you tax on most items there are several dealers that you can purchase from that charge no tax and include free shipping if you look around, i do not know if it is permissible to name some of them but do a internet search and steer away from amazon and flea bay 

• Like 1

I really don't trust the authenticity of most products from ebay or amazon with all the fake products out there although amazon does have a great shipping and return policy. I will continue to search for a dealer that still has it at $649 for now.

14 hours ago, Dasbear said:

The other thing I'm concerned with is my budget started at $500.

The MInelab Vanquish is a related detector and an equal performer in most conditions (heavy mineralization being an exception, but that isn't common in the USA) and there are multiple models here within your budget.

• Like 1

Well I finally fell off the fence with a Equinox 600 soon to be in my hands. The price is $649. no tax and free shipping. Hopefully it will show up this weekend. I will let you all know when I get setup and swinging.

• Like 3

I found a 6" barely used coil w/cover for $123. after discounts so hopefully this will help my searchs as I thought it was a pretty good deal. If there is other tools or gear anyone thinks would be good to add let me know.

• Like 1

A Garrett Pro Pointer AT and some form of digging tool and you're all good to go.  I love that little 6" coil.

I got out to play with the EQ600 today useing the 11" coil and must say the learning curve is a bit steep compared to my old tracker IV (almost elementary). I'm watching a pile of youtube vids and also reading the Big Blue Equinox book by Andy Sabisch which is helping alot too. One of my struggles now is working up a modified coin setting that will clearly i.d. the VARIABLE trash signals with recognizable tones which seems to be quite limited on EQ600 vs EQ800 so if anyone can throw some ideas my way have at it.

Are you in the USA? Oh I forgot you are in Washington state. If so what type of targets are you hunting and where like in trashy parks, playgrounds, open fields or yards?

First, really try to keep things as simple as possible. The Equinox is super sensitive to any target in the ground within range of the coil. Park 1 Multi, with sensitivity around 15 to 18 with everything else default is the best place to start since every tiny piece of aluminum foil won't be heard so easily. Otherwise the Equinox can be overwhelming due to the amount of possible targets it can hit. Just try to concentrate on targets that have clean 2 way hits and solid numbers that don't vary too much like 12/13, 20/21, 24/25, 26 to 28 and 29 to 31. Those numbers are for hunting standard USA clad coins.  Learn how to ground balance, noise cancel and use the pinpoint function. They are all your friends and so is the depth meter which is calibrated for coin sized targets with one wedge equalling around 2" depending on soil conditions. Hunt in places that have less aluminum trash like school playgrounds or bark, gravel or sand play areas where there aren't too many pull tabs (11 to 18), small and large aluminum screw caps (18/19--22/23) or steel crown bottle caps (can have wildly varying target IDs or 11 to 13, depending on condition, if they are covered with foil or depending on depth).

Check CJC's post today about mistakes made using the Equinox. It is really good information.