Any thoughts on the best pick axe to use for heavy work. Durability & weight is a consideration.

8 minutes ago, klunker said:

A tool commonly used for fire line building called a Pulaski works well if you truly need a good axe on one side but it's kind of a compromise for a pick.

Yes I don't need the axe for chopping but a traditional pick axe. Thanks.

48 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

Any thoughts on the best pick axe to use for heavy work. Durability & weight is a consideration.

Not your traditional pick but it's a great pick none the less, see one in person before buying, just so you know what it looks and feels like.

https://www.bing.com/search?pc=CBHS&ptag=N3132D041519A9DFA1A1FF2&form=CONBDF&conlogo=CT3210127&q=estwing+paleo+pick

• Thanks 1

As both Gold Seeker and klunker said.  I use the geo paleo pick regularly but I don’t go out without a pulaski.

Ever since I was a kid I have used both including the original geo paleo before they changed the handle. It is still at my old man’s house.  I bought it after striking a rock and breaking a wooden handle pick.  I found a old FS Pulaski and quick realized the usefulness for prospecting.  Wish I still had that one.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, strick said:

May I suggest Apex picks...they are made in the USA.. 

strick

Many thanks.

4 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

That beast looks like a backache waiting to happen !

Sure looks like it would take at least a couple of days to wear it out ...

Jed & his crew back in 1936 were some tough people but even he talks of being exhausted at times and having to punch new holes in his belt. He said in the journal he had to go 3 notches and then punch in a new one so I figure that to be 4 inches off his waist. Every 8 pounds lost equalls one inch off the waist so he lost about 32 lbs. And he's not done yet.

• Like 3