I'm echoing Stricks suggestion of Apex Picks; with their super magnet and handle length options, they are tough durable and hard to beat.

• Thanks 1

The only downside being that if you live and dig in an area with extreme fire danger during the summer months  like where I reside in Northern California they are very sparky.

1 hour ago, Doc Bach said:

The only downside being that if you live and dig in an area with extreme fire danger during the summer months  like where I reside in Northern California they are very sparky.

Yes, our mines are in northern Cal. Dixie fire just missed us somehow. 

• Oh my! 1

4 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Jed & his crew back in 1936 were some tough people but even he talks of being exhausted at times and having to punch new holes in his belt. He said in the journal he had to go 3 notches and then punch in a new one so I figure that to be 4 inches off his waist. Every 8 pounds lost equalls one inch off the waist so he lost about 32 lbs. And he's not done yet.

W

4 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Jed & his crew back in 1936 were some tough people but even he talks of being exhausted at times and having to punch new holes in his belt. He said in the journal he had to go 3 notches and then punch in a new one so I figure that to be 4 inches off his waist. Every 8 pounds lost equalls one inch off the waist so he lost about 32 lbs. And he's not done yet.

My mate and I had the best detecting pick on our claim but they were nowhere as effected as the old vintage picks that we used and the Ash hardwood handle were great for leverage to break up the face were we were digging. The old timers were tough I remember my dad doing his driveway 50 ft. long and car width and 6" deep. He did it all, the mixing of the concrete by hand with a shovel (just remember he had us kids helping or hindering him). I know how keen Jed would of been, gold does that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

My mate and I had the best detecting pick on our claim but they were nowhere as effected as the old vintage picks that we used and the Ash hardwood handle were great for leverage to break up the face were we were digging. The old timers were tough I remember my dad doing his driveway 50 ft. long and car width and 6" deep. He did it all the mixing of the concrete by hand with a shovel (just remember he had us kids helping or hindering him). I know how keen Jed would of been, gold does that.

Yes indeed. It's rocket fuel.

• Like 1

I have one of Doc's Nugget finder picks. I have 6 others but it is the best one I have ever used, a little bit heaver than others but digs very well and moves more dirt than other picks I have used

• Like 2