Whites Trx Getting Stuck

phrunt

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

Sorry if it is off topic, but if a person wanted the sensitivity of the TRX and did not care about iron ID, what would one have to choose from?

I don't know, I haven't tested much in the way of newer offerings. The F-Pulse/TekPoint have good depth but not tiny target sensitivity. I was developing a version for tiny gold in bad ground but no work on that for 2+ years, and it may never get done. Simon is seeing the Carrot with tiny target sensitivity near the TRX but I never did when I had one.

24 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It's interesting Minelab went with the same design internally as the TRX ...

I don't know that, just speculating. I had just bought a Profind 35 but it was on the moving truck that was stolen, along with my TRX and a couple of Garretts.

Anyone wanting to donate a dead Profind 35 let me know.

11 minutes ago, Geotech said:

Simon is seeing the Carrot with tiny target sensitivity near the TRX but I never did when I had one.

I have a carrot and do not find that either, but when it is turned up it will go deep enough even though a little better sensitivity to small would be better. The problem is that the detector will hit smaller than the pinpointer. My solution is just to pass on anything the pinpointer will not hit.

The carrot seems determined to go back to low power settings though, that is also an irritation even though it is something from me pushing the button probably. I also do not like the side sensitivity of it. 

There seems no good alternative. Many, including my dealer say that is about as good as it gets all around.

Thanks for the great helpful answers!

The Carrot is only sensitive on the sides of the tip to smaller targets, about 1cm from the tip is the hot spot, not the tip.

I'll do a video of the various sensitivities to small targets that I'm seeing.

• Like 1

Simon ... now in the winter .. in practice it's sometimes very difficult to get close like this ... I don't know how many times I had to shovel .. wipe the mud from the pinpointer:wink:

IMG_20220210_183332.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The Carrot is only sensitive on the sides of the tip to smaller targets, about 1cm from the tip is the hot spot, not the tip.

? I have not heard this before! Thanks so much for sharing this.

I just got a TRX (used) and it's really fickle. I did some testing inside my house with an alkaline 9V battery and oh boy, it seems sensitive to EMI, as its performance will depend on what room I'm in. But below are some general observations.

As expected, max sensitivity (4) is twitchy as heck.

On 3 sensitivity, it's fairly stable. It might twitch a tad if I hold it up or move the probe around, but nothing that prevents it from being useful or being too annoying. This observation also exists on 2 sensitivity.

But what's most interesting is that inconsistency I get from the max detecting range. Depending on my EMI conditions, the TRX will detect a copper penny anywhere from 2 to 2.75 inches away. Every time I turn it off or turn it on, I get a different reading. And sometimes, when I turn on the TRX, it gets twitchy and I press the button once and it calms down. But after I do that, the TRX only detects a penny (on 3 sensitivity) roughly 2 to 2.5 inches away. So this "retuning" will prevent the TRX from getting its max range. However, when the TRX "bottoms out" is almost always the same, with the max vibrate and sound pulse occuring within the same 2 mm window. But the max detecting range of that copper penny can vary by about 20 mm.

I'll do some more testing with AA eneloop batteries soon and see if I get different results.

So far, I really like the TRX's closing range. But I don't care for the inconsistent performance, where often, 3 sensitivity will have less overall detection range of a copper penny than my Fisher F-Pulse on medium sensitivity. And yes, that F-Pulse will have some variation in its performance,  but its the variations are small.

• Like 1

Update: Did some more testing with 2xAA Eneloops and it seems like the TRX is a smidge more stable, but not by that much. It does seem that the variations in max detection range is a little less pronouced, but it could just be because my neighbor turned off his cordless telephone, who knows.

So the bottom line is that my TRX doesn't lock up like phrunt's. But I do observe the EFE and experience inconsistent performance when it comes to overall detection range. However, the maxing out point, aka: overloading point, remains consistent, though.

Phrunt - my first TRX was rock solid and i used it for years (in the mud, under water, etc). I put some electrical tape over the speaker to quiet it down and to mitigate any water intrusion or mud buildup and that was helpful.  Finally got a leak around the power button and fried something such that it was never functionally the same. 

Just like you, i bought one before they were gone, and it's a little more fickle.  I run mine at Power level 3 and it also gets stuck after hitting the target, on occasion. I have just learned to do a quick rebalance and move on.

My biggest original problem was that it would not stay on reliably.  I switched out the AA battery holder from my old machine, and the problem is basically solved.  Seemed the contacts where not planar on the battery module and would not always make/stay in contact.   Foam pad was new, so that wasn't the issue.  Still get a little odd behavior now and then due to proper contact at startup.  Probably could add a little customer foam piece and solve it...but have just learned to deal w/ the occasional hiccup.

Still a great pinpointer....just wish it was as rock solid as my original.

Brian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zincoln said:

Phrunt - my first TRX was rock solid and i used it for years (in the mud, under water, etc). I put some electrical tape over the speaker to quiet it down and to mitigate any water intrusion or mud buildup and that was helpful.  Finally got a leak around the power button and fried something such that it was never functionally the same. 

Just like you, i bought one before they were gone, and it's a little more fickle.  I run mine at Power level 3 and it also gets stuck after hitting the target, on occasion. I have just learned to do a quick rebalance and move on.

My biggest original problem was that it would not stay on reliably.  I switched out the AA battery holder from my old machine, and the problem is basically solved.  Seemed the contacts where not planar on the battery module and would not always make/stay in contact.   Foam pad was new, so that wasn't the issue.  Still get a little odd behavior now and then due to proper contact at startup.  Probably could add a little customer foam piece and solve it...but have just learned to deal w/ the occasional hiccup.

Still a great pinpointer....just wish it was as rock solid as my original.

Brian

Stories like these make me thing that the issues many people have with the TRX (or any other pinpointer) are due to differences in production. Whether it's a discrepancy in the production process or the company modifies the product, I'm beginning to think there are at least two versions of the TRX, just like there are two versions of the Fisher F-Pulse.