Whites Trx Getting Stuck

phrunt

I don't think there is two TRX versions, my post where I linked to someone else having the "stuck" problem on another forum was with a very early model TRX when they first came out, others with much more recent ones have the same random problems.

While there likely are inconsistencies in manufacturing it's not likely due to two models.  It's more likely because Whites production facilities was stuck in the 1980's, much of their stuff hand made and Carl also pointed out the TRX is very difficult to make compared to other pin pointers, this could lead to more inconsistent results in manufacuring I guess?

These problems wouldn't be so noticeable when they were a running business as people would just swap them out under warranty.  Now we are trying to keep a model T Ford alive long after the factory is no longer producing.  Why are we doing this some might ask? Because at this point it's the most sensitive to small target pinpointer on the market, and the only one with nose and tail only sensitivity.  If any brand made a more sensitive pin pointer my TRX's would quickly be forgotten about.

If my TRX worked perfectly I'd love it.  It is a shame it's no longer in development, Garrett could probably revive it and build it better quality as they appear to have much more advanced production facilities.  It would fit in their line up well I think, they need a TRX v2, Carrot AT and a pulse induction Pinpointer in their lineup with dive coils optional to cover all bases.  If you cover all bases people don't need to shop elsewhere.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It's more likely because Whites production facilities was stuck in the 1980's, much of their stuff hand made and Carl also pointed out the TRX is very difficult to make compared to other pin pointers, this could lead to more inconsistent results in manufacuring I guess?

Sounds like a valid theory!

I was thinking earlier today about the Garrett re-releasing the TRX and I still don't think that's gonna happen. Then I thought about what the Garrett Carrot 2 might look like and I figured it might be a TRX in the Garrett Carrot's body. But then I thought about what Carl said about EFE and how certain types of tech in pinpointers tend to be more sucepctible to EFE. I have concluded (possibly incorrectly) that Garrett won't make a TRX-like pinpointer b/c what makes the TRX so good is also what makes it so annoying.

One of the great things about the Garrett Carrot is its consistency in terms of dependability and performance. It's not the most sensitive to coin-size targets and it's not the best on gold. It's not the best for saltwater beaches and it doesn't have the best ratcheting or closing range. But it's a solid performer.

So by turning the Garrett Carrot 2 into a TRXv2, you lose a lot of that. I think this "trust" shouldn't be disregarded. One of the reasons I'm still reluctant to replace my F-Pulse with the TRX is b/c of the TRX's apparent ficklenss. 

It reminds me about military equipment. Yes, the private sector will often have tools that perform better. But they won't have the robustness that military-grade equipment will have.

I will do more testing with the TRX before I make a final decision...

I did a little more tinkering around and I have started to notice that my TRX will sometimes get "stuck" like phrunt described. It usually happens indoors and after I've brought the TRX close to a large metal object. Most of the time when I move the TRX away, the pinpointer stops beeping and vibrating. But sometimes, it'll continue when I pull the TRX away from the target. To stop the TRX from being stuck, I can quickly press the button to retune/detune the TRX. Also, sometimes just moving or pointing the TRX in a particular direction will stop the full on beeping and vibrating.

However, this is usually an indoor thing and it's easily remedied my the retune/detune. I'm going to do more testing outside, but from the limited outdoor testing so far, this isn't as big of a problem (the getting stuck).

EDIT: I did some brief air testing outside as well as inside. When I swung around the TRX like I was doing inside, I noticed the "stuck" issue and some EMI/EFE falsing just as if I were inside. But when using the TRX in the dirt to find a target, it's basically the perfect little pinpointer. 

So I came inside, turned on my TRX and starting looking for my metal pipes and nails in my floor. When doing this, the TRX worked perfectly; no falsing, no getting stuck, no nothing and I could find the metal in my floors consistently and without issue. I used my F-Pulse after to confirm my TRX's findings. But then, when I lifted up the TRX to point up, or I stood up and pointed around my TRX, I got the falsing. So this potentially explains a lot.

As I mentioned before, I'll do more testing, but it looks like I'm finally getting a better understanding of the TRX's fickleness and why some people seem to never have a problem with it while others do.