East Coast Gold

mn90403

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Why was there a mint in Georgia?

I'll take a wild guess without checking the link ok?

let me see.... thinking here... still thinking...  Could it be to possibly mint coins?  Could it be...? (oak island phrase)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For completeness, here is a link to Part 1.

The following (from early in the article under Spanish Exploration) makes the following statement:

Gold finds in what is the U.S. today prior to the 19th century were non-existent. For the most part, very little gold was found by these early explorers in the Southeast, Southwest, or any of the other parts of what would become the U.S. and Canada.

That's a surprise given the many stories of lost Spanish mines.  Yes, some of those stories about about silver mines.  (The Southwest USA was part of Spain and Mexico during most of the first half of the 19th Century, so stories about gold mining then aren't specifically rejected by the above quote.)  Note that the two sentences above may be contradictory -- "non-existant" and "very little".  I'll see what else I can dig up.

Q. David Bowers has an entire book on USA mints.  I'm a bit surprised (or more accurately, 'disappointed') that I see no mention of that in the article.  The Bowers book was published in 2016 and possibly the article was written previously, but given the date on the webpage articles it should still have been mentioned, at least in a footnote.  (Possibly it was and I missed seeing it....)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2022 at 6:08 AM, GB_Amateur said:

For completeness, here is a link to Part 1

I had read the article but wasn't motivated to post the first one but I'm glad you did now.  We've got some other threads dealing with gold from the East but this one has more of a coin perspective than those and then retells the gold finds and mining.

• Like 3

What's interesting about the D mint mark for those coins.  It is not for DENVER.

Back in the 90's one of our local club members found a beautiful gold coin here in Boise, Idaho.  Anyone finding a gold coin makes big news around here and when he told me the year and mint mark, I could not figure out why, as Denver mint was not known back then.  It was not until I was able to see the coin in person and realize yes it was a D mint mark and more research revealed the rare mint from Georgia (Dahlonega).  I tried to purchase it back then, but it was his best coin find ever so I totally understand why he wanted to keep it.

Thanks for bringing back memories.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an interesting dedication of an event that changed the East Coast.

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/03/09/carolina-gold-rush-day-reed-gold-mine-march-19/