Significant Other And Your Metal Detecting Hobby, Good Idea Or Bad Idea??

7 hours ago, Mick93 said:

I have hunted most of my life, my wife started 4 years ago. I always find lots of stuff but from the very beginning 90 percent of the time she comes up with a great find or bucket lister! I just shake my head.

Isn't that always the way!😀

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JNimons said:

My Wife passed from cancer in October. She had no interest in detecting, but she absolutely loved me coming home...asking how I did, and me handing her my finds box. She was very supportive and into my finds!

Sorry for your loss. I lost my wife as well, unexpectedly in August 2018 at 43 after 23 years of marriage. She was very supportive of everything I did as well (including MD’ing). Many of us have had the blessing of a good spouse. Hang in there.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, DOOGY-MD said:

Ok, vote in, let's see what your thoughts are on this subject!!

My wife finds a 1908 silver half dollar within the first hour of her trying out Metal detecting, with a BH Tracker IV no less, go figure? She never went again, said it was too easy??

Back in 1979 my wife Carol wanted a GOLD DETECTOR. I told her that they were a big "con" look at all this dredged gold we have got none of which a detector could see. Any way in 1980 being  cashed up I surrendered and got her the  latest Garrett Deepseeker ADS. To keep it brief she did not like it so I got the REJECT and had to get her the latest Whites 6000D. Carol has found a full and a ½ sovereign with it, so I'm only need to get 3 gold coins to get my pride back. If that was not enough to rub it in she found the first nugget and the first one over an ounce. Well dredging became illegal so my only method of getting gold was detecting. I managed to find a 4 Oz. shortly after her 1 Oz. and now have found in the 3 digits Oz up to date. As for the dredging I really miss it, and I keep telling her the Garretts was better than the Whites and now that Garretts have got Whites that proves it. Carol say that don't count as we both use a Minelab Detector.  Well that's the way cookie crumbles so don't laugh too hard.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

On 2/6/2022 at 5:44 PM, JNimons said:

She had no interest in detecting, but she absolutely loved me coming home...asking how I did, and me handing her my finds box.

Sorry to hear about your loss. RIP.

My mother has dementia. She loves seeing the junk I find. When I don’t have any finds of my own, I show her some of the pictures of trash you guys post on this website. She pours over each picture with fascination. “What’s that, a key? Is that part of an earring? A nail?”

She’s more interested in the trash than the gold rings!

• Like 8

This summer I will have 50 years with this great hobby and with numerous times of encouragement my wife has never shown an interest in taking it up. She is always curious as to what I find, I hunt almost daily, but very seldom takes any serious interest  in any of my jewelry finds. Most importantly, however, she has always been (pretty) supportive of my treasure seeking endeavors. HH Jim Tn

• Like 1

My wife is the best hunting pardner I could ever ask for!-----She hunts with me on (almost) every hunt I go on & we are blessed to be able to hunt pretty much year around.---We don't hunt just every day like we used to but we still hunt plenty (even at our age).---I remember when I got her started in detecting--she took to it like a duck takes to water.🙂

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, "beginners luck"!  Funny how some people just get out there, make a killer find and think its an everyday thing!  Having a significant other detect with you is a plus/minus thing; sometimes its a good thing, other times its a negative.  For example, we're talking to someone to try and gain a permission and she'll sidetrack the conversation away from where/how I wanted the conversation to go.  Everybody has their own methods and they dont always agree!  But, I will say on the positive side, I have many times ended up gaining a nice find because even though I was pretty much ready to quit for the day, she said she wanted to keep on detecting, or go check out another spot I mentioned, so we went and I ended up with a nice find.  Overall, its a positive thing, far better than having one who tries to stop you from detecting!

• Like 3