Emi Concern

TXOP

I do a lot of competition hunting with the many clubs in the area.  With my Deus 1 I have to stay away from Equinox's because they tear me up.  I have to get pretty far away but I can deal with it because I can hear the interference stop.  I really think the Equinox is putting out way more power than legally allowed because of how far away I have to get.  It's doing something that no other detector does to the Deus, that is for sure.

Now I see Calabash's new video showing interference that you cannot hear.  In this case the Equinox is basically overloading the receiver in the Deus II where it cannot receive it's own signal that it transmits into the ground.  IMO this is unacceptable and a major flaw that XP needs to address.  I doubt it can be fixed in software but will require a hardware change.

Is the case that Calabash shows in his video isolated or have others experienced this?  Of course you would have to hunt with a Nox to know.

Are there any other detectors that effect the Deus II in the same way?  To me this is a Show Stopper!  Could you imagine hunting with a friend who is using a NOX and not knowing if he is interfering with you or not?   You sure wouldn't want to use the Deus II in a competition Hunt!!  I'm on the list to get a Deus II but until this is addressed I am waiting and will continue to use my Deus I.

Comments?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TXOP said:

I do a lot of competition hunting with the many clubs in the area.  With my Deus 1 I have to stay away from Equinox's because they tear me up.  I have to get pretty far away but I can deal with it because I can hear the interference stop.  I really think the Equinox is putting out way more power than legally allowed because of how far away I have to get.  It's doing something that no other detector does to the Deus, that is for sure.

Now I see Calabash's new video showing interference that you cannot hear.  In this case the Equinox is basically overloading the receiver in the Deus II where it cannot receive it's own signal that it transmits into the ground.  IMO this is unacceptable and a major flaw that XP needs to address.  I doubt it can be fixed in software but will require a hardware change.

Is the case that Calabash shows in his video isolated or have others experienced this?  Of course you would have to hunt with a Nox to know.

Are there any other detectors that effect the Deus II in the same way?  To me this is a Show Stopper!  Could you imagine hunting with a friend who is using a NOX and not knowing if he is interfering with you or not?   You sure wouldn't want to use the Deus II in a competition Hunt!!  I'm on the list to get a Deus II but until this is addressed I am waiting and will continue to use my Deus I.

Comments?

My comments as a Deus and Equinox and pulse induction detector user who also uses handheld pinpointers..........do an automatic noise cancel, automatic frequency shift or manual frequency shift if you are hunting with others and with handheld pinpointers BEFORE you start detecting and do another one if problems arise during a hunt. That is what these features are there for.

Some seeded hunt organizers tell their hunters to turn down their sensitivity before hunting and to do noise cancel/frequency shifts and to stay well away from each other if possible. 

Using an Equinox and a Deus, I simply can't hunt around some other detectors either without doing the necessary steps.  Blaming it all on the Equinox is not accurate. I can hear some FTP and Whites VLF detectors approaching from 20 yards away using either an Equinox or a Deus....... Conversely, I can be using an Equinox or Deus right next to another Equinox or Deus IF we have prepped our detectors and pinpointers to minimize crosstalk feedback before hunting.

So, Calabash and his hunting partner along with Steve (Gigmaster) and his hunting partner should have taken care of that before starting out instead of blaming it all on the Equinox.....or Deus ll depending on which video your are watching.

• Like 2

Jeff,

I think the main point I was trying to make is that in this case, as shown by Calabash, you cannot hear the interference.   It just kills the receiver in the Deus I and you hear nothing.    At least on the Deus I you can hear the interference and back away.  How would you know you are “not detecting “?

• Like 1

I don't know about hearing nothing in Calabash's example. He just didn't initially hear that target and did later when he did a frequency shift.

Same with Gigmaster putting his Deus ll back in the car and grabbing his Equinox. Maybe he did not perform a frequency shift check before he started detecting with his Deus ll due to unfamiliarity with it. There could have also been another EMI source besides a nearby Equinox or crucial setting that he was unaware of that caused his Deus ll to not be able to detect the deeper targets that his friend's Equinox was detecting easily.

"Silent" EMI is still EMI whether it is coming from another detector, pinpointer, our phone, camera or some other source that we can't control. It can effect a detector in different ways especially simultaneous multi frequency detectors and pulse induction detectors. If I can hear the effects of audible EMI I just assume that their is also inaudible EMI in the area. Doing a noise cancel/frequecy shift should take care of most of it.

I don't see this as an issue or major problem. As long as detector users hunting together take the necessary steps to alleviate most of the interference, things should go well. It is a good thing that both Deus ll, the Equinox and the Legend have the ability to run in selectable single frequencies when EMI is too bad for the detector to operate as an SMF detector.

Those of us that have a Deus ll and those that don't have a lot to learn about how Deus ll works. 

EMI is a depth killer on all detectors, controlling EMI is a very important step to setting up a detector and should be regularly addressed throughout the day, otherwise you're hindering your performance. Silent "EMI" as it's being called here should be controlled by a noise cancel.  Avoiding situations that create a bad source of EMI is common sense.

Here's a good (long) thread from Dankowski which has been linked here before (that's how I found it).  You'll recognize a lot of the same suspects (err, posters) there as here.  Eye-opening for me.  Just when I think I understand my detector....  🙄

Below is a thread here on detectorprospector.com that refers to the above linked thread and at least one other, plus some discussion.  How did I miss all this??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies but I think you guys are missing the point of this post.  

we can all deal with interference we can hear.   That’s easy. 

what I was concerned about was his example where the detector just went “deaf” when the other detector was close by.   That is not good as you would not know you had interference.  

maybe CB’s video is not real world and was just a rare occurrence.  That can be lived with.  I was just checking to see if anyone else had experienced what he called “silent” EMI.   EMI you can’t hear. Your detector just goes dead and doesn’t emit any sounds. 

does that make more sense?   Is anyone else besides CB seeing this?

41 minutes ago, TXOP said:

Thanks for all the replies but I think you guys are missing the point of this post.  

maybe CB’s video is not real world....

It took me a while to figure out who 'CB' is.  (Calabash Digger -- now I get it.)  Still, a link to the video you are referring to might help....