Emi Concern

TXOP

Calabash's detector did not go dead. It just couldn't detect that target at that depth.

I got your point the first time you made it. 

The way to help mitigate the effects of silent or audible EMI interference no matter what the source, is to do the recommended auto noise canceling or auto frequency scans for the detector being used right after first starting it up and if needed, do another one later if you notice any EMI related issues like audible interference, very jumpy IDs, loss of depth or audio instability.

Like phrunt said, this is basic procedure if I am anywhere near an EMI source while using a high gain simultaneous multi frequency detector like the Equinox or Deus ll or if I am using a pulse induction detector. Cover your bases and occasionally check your detector for full function if it seems to have gone quiet.

Jeff,

I am not trying to argue with you but you need to go back and reread my original post.   It was asking about how the Deus II did with EMI for competition hunting.   Maybe you don’t do as many of these types of hunts as I do.  

I have done a lot of competition hunts and club fun hunts using my Deus.   I cannot hunt next to a NOX not matter how I adjust my Deus.  It tears it up so bad all I can hear is interference from the NOX.  BTW, if my terms are confusing it comes from being a ham radio operator so don’t take them literally.    When I used the term dead I would have thought it was clear but apparently not.  I should have said deaf.

no one at this point may be able to answer my question without testing it. With my Deus I can hear the interference and walk away from the person with the NOX.  

if, with the Deus II, I am in a hunt and my receiver in the Deus II just goes silent that is a problem. I would not know that a NOX or any other detector had overloaded or interfered with me so I could get away from them.  I am making sense now?  

The interference on my Deus I is so bad when close to a NOX I cannot even hear surface targets.  No other detector in the hunts I have been to cause the Deus so much racket.  Racket, in this usuage, means lots of tones in the headphones.  

When I saw Kevin’s video I became concerned about how I would know I was having an issue, in a competition hunt, if I just don’t hear anything. You say he just lost depth.   I don’t know how you determined that?   But if that is the case and it will still detect surface finds then I can live with that.  Most competition hunts today just throw the coins out in the grass.   It’s all about speedy recovery.   The Deus excels because of its fast recovery speed.  

so hopefully this is clearer in what I am wanting to know.  If not, I give up and will see if Kevin can put a test together.   He has already proven the NOX, in certain instances, cause the Deus II to go “deaf”.   My question is when it goes somewhat “deaf” will it still “hear” surface targets.  

thanks for your comments.  

Again, I fully understood your question. I hunt in competition hunts and impromptu wild target group hunts with many Deus 1 and Equinox users. Sometimes the Deus 1 interferes with my Nox and vice versa. If I know the person I work it out by lowering my sensitivity a bit and by doing an automatic noise cancel and see if that helps. My friend/fellow hunter using their Deus 1 may also need to do a small manual frequency shift to totally clear it up. In timed hunts situations I try to work all of this out before the hunt starts. I have experienced crosstalk between Equinoxes and multiple Deus 1s along with many other detectors that are harder or impossible to adjust. I also, like I said earlier, often hunt within 10 feet of Deus 1 and Equinox users and we have no EMI issues whether audible or silent because we already addressed that issue at startup.

With Deus 2, finding a “clear” channel appears to be much easier since it has an “auto scan” function that takes one button push and 3 seconds to complete and similar to the Equinox will find the clearest frequencies for quieter operation. 

I don’t own a Deus 2 yet and I don’t personally know anyone in my club that has received theirs yet so I can’t test this for you. 

Thanks for reading and I am outta here.

It may be the fact that Deus uses a wireless coil system? That would make interfering easier and more intense, I would think??? Every detector loses depth as another detector gets closer and there is no way to easily test that other than burying dime a 7" and have someone slowly approach you until you either lose the signal or it sound terrible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TXOP said:

I do a lot of competition hunting with the many clubs in the area.  With my Deus 1 I have to stay away from Equinox's because they tear me up.  I have to get pretty far away but I can deal with it because I can hear the interference stop.  I really think the Equinox is putting out way more power than legally allowed because of how far away I have to get.  It's doing something that no other detector does to the Deus, that is for sure.

Now I see Calabash's new video showing interference that you cannot hear.  In this case the Equinox is basically overloading the receiver in the Deus II where it cannot receive it's own signal that it transmits into the ground.  IMO this is unacceptable and a major flaw that XP needs to address.  I doubt it can be fixed in software but will require a hardware change.

Is the case that Calabash shows in his video isolated or have others experienced this?  Of course you would have to hunt with a Nox to know.

Are there any other detectors that effect the Deus II in the same way?  To me this is a Show Stopper!  Could you imagine hunting with a friend who is using a NOX and not knowing if he is interfering with you or not?   You sure wouldn't want to use the Deus II in a competition Hunt!!  I'm on the list to get a Deus II but until this is addressed I am waiting and will continue to use my Deus I.

Comments?

Would have been good if Calabash Digger had posted results of the EMI (silent emi) when he first discovered it. I think Steve's phone call the night before triggered CD's post of discovering the EMI problem but until then he had remained silent.

The EMI problems with the Deus in this situation may not be the "detector" EMI at all, the frequencies the detector is using and the auto tune might be perfectly fine, it maybe nothing to do with the operating frequencies of the detector at all, it could be other detectors like the Equinox are emitting something on the frequencies the coil uses to talk to the control box. 

For example, if I use a microwave oven near a wireless router the router transmission speed is greatly reduced, it doesn't cut out but it loses a lot of packets slowing it right down.   Could some form of EMI not be affecting the operation of the detector itself, but the transmission of data between the coil and control box? I am 100% sure it can.

What's always bothered me about the Deus is this unnecessary wireless transmission between the control box and the coil, I don't care what anyone says, wireless is NEVER EVER EVER EVER...... as reliable or fast as using a cable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Here's a good (long) thread from Dankowski which has been linked here before (that's how I found it).  You'll recognize a lot of the same suspects (err, posters) there as here.  Eye-opening for me.  Just when I think I understand my detector....  🙄

Below is a thread here on detectorprospector.com that refers to the above linked thread and at least one other, plus some discussion.  How did I miss all this??

Speaking of EMI, I am probably heading to that EMI beach this Thursday, but was going to see how the 6000 handles the EMI. I hunted this last visit with the EQ and 5000, and each had a rough go at it. I'm sure I missed a lot. This beach does not move much, so conditions haven't changed from last hunt. We will see if the 6000 has any new EMI tricks or is it has the same old problem we always face. Until someone tackles EMI from another angle, we are all doomed to lower depth. I hope the OP and the Deus are not more susceptible to EMI than other machines, and that the no signal on the Deus is just a glitch of some sorts. But after watching the video, I think proximity may be the culprit. That would really suck for Deus owners if that ends up being real.

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter
5 hours ago, TXOP said:

Thanks for all the replies but I think you guys are missing the point of this post.  

we can all deal with interference we can hear.   That’s easy. 

what I was concerned about was his example where the detector just went “deaf” when the other detector was close by.   That is not good as you would not know you had interference.  

maybe CB’s video is not real world and was just a rare occurrence.  That can be lived with.  I was just checking to see if anyone else had experienced what he called “silent” EMI.   EMI you can’t hear. Your detector just goes dead and doesn’t emit any sounds. 

does that make more sense?   Is anyone else besides CB seeing this?

You may have silent Emi with any detector.  And you won’t know it affects necessarily either.  Part of life with sensitive electronic device that contains an antenna basically for Emi to enter.  Those seeded hunts.  Do they plant coins 9 plus inches deep ?.

49 minutes ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

You may have silent Emi with any detector.  And you won’t know it affects necessarily either.  Part of life with sensitive electronic device that contains an antenna basically for Emi to enter.  Those seeded hunts.  Do they plant coins 9 plus inches deep ?.

I've been one of the seeders at the local fall club hunts for several years.. all hunts here are held at the beach. I just let the targets fly and the sand does the rest. Most I would guess would be less than 2 inches.

The seeded hunts I have been to rarely go more than an inch or 2 deep.  Most places we have hunts at now want the coins in the grass.  Less and less places are letting us dig when we have so many people.  

I still haven’t experienced the interference from any detector like I get from a NOX and I hunted with a lot of different brands.