Deus 2, Deus 1, Equinox 800 & GPX 5000 Compared On Various Size Gold Nuggets

Once again Andy, your testing mirrors what I have experienced using three of the four detectors in this comparison. Deus 1, Nox 800, GPX 5000.

Several people questioned me and Andy when we said that Deus 2 Gold Field really needs those higher frequencies and that a maximum of 40 kHz might not be enough. Why did we say that......because of the way Deus 1 really gets hot on smaller gold at 50 kHz and higher. Since we had never used a Deus 1 at 40 kHz (not an available frequency) all we had to go on was the difference between 31 and 48 kHz. At least on the Deus 1 it just gets a real jump in performance using the 9" HF coil starting at 48 kHz. Using an 11" coil on Deus 2 with a maximum high frequency of 40 kHz was just an unknown. Now we know. Hopefully the 9" paired with Deus 2 in Gold Field will be better on all of those targets. Also, the volume level of Deus 2 seemed to be really quiet. Was it on its highest setting. Plus, I already said in another post that Deus 2 gold prospecting for smaller gold in its discrimination modes needs to have a very low disc setting even below zero. Deus 2 gave some occasional accurate target IDs interspersed with 00s. Deus 1 never gave any accurate target IDs on any of the targets at any frequency. Deus 1 hit those targets hard at 74kHz for sure.

The real winner of this comparison as I and I am fairly certain Andy could have predicted was the Equinox 800 using an 11" coil in Gold 1 Multi. Gold 2 Multi would have been just the same. I know Steve H. has said that the Equinox 800 Gold modes were mostly an accident and kind of an afterthought. Somehow Steve and Minelab really nailed it however. I see this kind of raw power and finesse using the Equinox 800 gold prospecting and even relic hunting every time I use it. 

Apart from the occasional iron range number, the Equinox 800 even with an 11" coil was dead on the target IDs for those nuggets. Put the 10X5" Coiltek or 6" round coil on the Equinox on those targets.............

Relic hunters that have not used the Equinox Gold modes for really deep relic hunting in fairly clean ground that has some mineralization......you are missing out. You get the same extremely accurate target IDs along with VCO audio. For shallow non-ferrous targets in thick nails, just turn up the iron bias and the recovery speed to alleviate some of the iron falsing and to shorten the audio responses. You can also use the threshold tone as a reference that will null on iron..........

David (TNSS) I hope you are watching this. The ground Andy is testing in is not extreme mineralization wise. The gulf between the Deus 2 and the Equinox may be even greater in really bad ground from a prospecting/relic standpoint using Deus 2's Gold Field and Relic modes versus the Equinox Gold modes.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Also, the volume level of Deus 2 seemed to be really quiet. Was it on its highest setting

Jeff volume was on 7 or 8 I don't recall which. It will go to 9 so I could have probably gotten a little more out of it. Audio response up to 6 may have helped as well I had it at 4. All stuff you don't think about at the time.

39 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The real winner of this comparison as I and I am fairly certain Andy could have predicted was the Equinox 800 using an 11" coil in Gold 1 Multi. Gold 2 Multi would have been just the same. I know Steve H. has said that the Equinox 800 Gold modes were mostly an accident and kind of an afterthought. Somehow Steve and Minelab really nailed it however. I see this kind of raw power and finesse using the Equinox 800 gold prospecting and even relic hunting every time I use it.

On small gold the Equinox is the clear winner IMO and I kind of thought it was going to be just knowing how it has done in the past. You have to remember Minelab pretty much has gold prospecting detectors market wrapped up and this is just further proof of that.

• Like 6

Well ... I don't normally watch comparison videos but that one was WELL WORTH THE WATCH!  It hit my sweet spot for sure.

I've said many times that I was probably the first one other than Steve to find some gold nuggets with the 11" 800.  It is on a thread here some place.  They were small nuggets.

We got to see different technology used on nuggets in the field.  Invaluable information and sounds for all of us.  Thank you.

I've been considering a small coil purchase for my 5000 and it shows that I either don't need one or it will ignore the tiny gold (and maybe the tiny bird shot) and be a form of discrimination.

What we didn't see in the video is a reaction to hot rocks.  This would be like many 'played out' gold patches where much of the trash and many of the hot rocks have been removed.  In those patches most of the surface gold and shallow gold has been removed too so those of us watching this 'test garden' we don't know how many detectors have been used on a spot before we get there.

• Like 4

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Audio report should have been at max on Deus 2.  Gold would have sounded louder in video for actual comparison purposes.

I can put it on a silk pillow and eliminate the mineralization altogether. Turn the volume all the way up and redo the test if you would like. I can promise you it makes little to no difference. It's a lackluster signal no matter what. On the smallest nugget.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter
9 minutes ago, abenson said:

I can put it on a silk pillow and eliminate the mineralization altogether. Turn the volume all the way up and redo the test if you would like. I can promise you it makes little to no difference. It a lackluster signal no matter what.

You do what you want.  Can you hear the smaller gold in the headphones with Deus 2?

After all isn’t  what really matters.  Dig what you hear in the wild gold nugget hunting.  Besides you have done stated Deus 2 runs quieter over the higher mineral ground.  Maybe Deus don’t have to give more loud tone as Eqx.  As Eqx is noisier.

Got news for folks more going on with audio on Deus 2 than what is going on with Eqx. Lot more actually.  And if we compare Deus 2 and Eqx using external speakers.  A person listening to external speaker using detectors  won’t hear/notice.  Nor will you you tube watcher.  Fact!!!

wow.

• Like 1