Indians And Buffalos

Congrats on the buffs and ihp’s!   In your first photo near the top is something that looks like a screwdriver handle.  Is that an old valve stem cover from an old model T?  I found one exactly like that one time and wasn’t exactly sure if it was a valve stem cover or not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Congrats on the buffs and ihp’s!   In your first photo near the top is something that looks like a screwdriver handle.  Is that an old valve stem cover from an old model T?  I found one exactly like that one time and wasn’t exactly sure if it was a valve stem cover or not. 

I've found a bunch of them. Could be, my avatar came from a Model T hubcap I dug there, and there is a Model T quietly rusting into the ground near there. I've also dug Ford ignition keys here.

I just thought it was a screwdriver handle or something 😀

Just looked them up, NCToad for the win! That's exactly what they are. 👍

Thanks!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Four oldie day -- I'd be thrilled with that.  Daffodils?  Spring is just around the corner!  👍

I'm looking forward to spring and my first beach trip of the year. I haven't been finding much lately but I'm still getting outside with the Equinox. It was 55 yesterday, and 65 today. Tomorrow and Saturday are going to be warm too, I have a hunt on Saturday with some other people 😎

• Like 1

Indians and Buffalo make it a nice hunt. 1894 is a semi key date I think. Is that a lead round ball near the bottom center of the picture??

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Indians and Buffalo make it a nice hunt. 1894 is a semi key date I think. Is that a lead round ball near the bottom center of the picture??

Yes, all these places are loaded with buck balls of every imaginable size and type. Also musket and pistol balls. I could build a pretty big lead balloon with them all... 😁

They only minted 16 million 1894s, it is more rare. The 1882 was 33 million, I think.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 11:46 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

The aluminum horseshoe is facinating. I've never seen one of those and had no idea there was such a thing.

Maybe the equine version of mag wheels? I don’t know much about horses (other than I rarely win when I go to the track) but in the program they indicate how much weight the horse is carrying, down to the pound. A few ounces per hoof could mean better acceleration?

I just got back from the track a few hours ago. Down $7.80. Not bad for 4 hours of hanging out with friends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Old Line Paul said:

Maybe the equine version of mag wheels? I don’t know much about horses (other than I rarely win when I go to the track) but in the program they indicate how much weight the horse is carrying, down to the pound. A few ounces per hoof could mean better acceleration?

I just got back from the track a few hours ago. Down $7.80. Not bad for 4 hours of hanging out with friends.

Hey Paul,

They are way lighter than iron, supposedly cushion shock better and reduce fatigue. I was just as uninformed as anyone 😀

• Like 1

Yes, the Aluminum horseshoes are used for racing. I have dug one before at an old surrey track from the 1920:s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1