AT Pro Used Value

Skate

I have a buddy that purchased an AT Pro 5 years ago and he used it about 20 hours total and it's been in his closet for the rest of the time. He asked me if I could help establish a value on it so he could sell it so I figured I'd ask the Garrett Forum folks for advice. Stock Coil, headphones etc.

Thanks for all thoughts and opinions.

Skate 

If you go to Ebay, do an Advanced Search ( Garrett "AT Pro" -- if you don't put the AT Pro in parentheses you'll also get pinpointers, etc.), checkmark the "completed" box (i.e. those items that actually sold so you can see actual settled prices), also in the sidebar check 'used'.  There are many on that list right now, and the prices vary, but you can click on them and see the original listing.  (Sometime there are added items, e.g. coils, which will bring higher prices.  Damage, of course, means a lower price.)

Auctions always involve an auctioneer's (or auction site) fee, and online auctions have shipping costs, so that needs to be folded into the evaluation.  Sales tax is another potential add-on.

The 20 hours of use is a plus, but those kinds of things can be difficult to monetize.  There's often an issue of trust when that enters the picture.

This is a tricky question, b/c what Garrett lists as the AT Pro's MSRP is way too high.

Based on what else is available, the AT Pro is probably a $250-$300 machine. But Garrett doesn't price it that way. So most sellers try to sell it used for $400-$450 (or so). 

On the one hand, it's what the market will bare. But keep in mind that what the market will bare isn't the same as being able to sell something rather quickly. For example, if I listed a used Equinox 600 for sale right now, I could probably get $450 shipped for it. But it might take several months to sell. But if I listed it for $350 shipped, I'd sell it in a few days.

If your friend wants to sell his AT Pro within a few weeks, he should expect to get $300 to $350, in my opinion (based on what I see listed and selling on Facebook). And this assumes it's a basic, stock set up with maybe the MS-2 headphones. If he's willing to wait a few months for someone to come along who doesn't understand metal detectors (which is a lot of buyers), I think he could get $400 to $450.

Please note these estimates are for selling a machine in person, for cash.

Oh, and the 20 hours of use? Means little. What matters is that it's no longer under warranty and whether or not it works properly. I bought an AT Max used with less than 8 hours of run time on it. Didn't work properly after using it for just a few hours. I also bought a brand new, never used AT Pro and it didn't work properly either.