Nox / Deus2 Depth Test ... New England Beaches

• The title was changed to Nox / Deus2 Depth Test ... New England Beaches

41 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Different beach, different results. 

You're sure right about that Joe, that's a very different result compared to my beaches.. where the Deus II (with a 11'' coil) has trouble on targets buried 20-25 cm deep (around 8-10'' deep).. Wild stuff! Just goes to show not to get too carried away with what others are finding and to do your own testing instead.. 😃 

• Like 4

Those are some great results both for Beach and Beach Sensitive.  This shows how Deus 2 for wet and submerged hunting is far more sensitive to deeper targets than Equinox Beach 2. Anyone familiar with the Equinox Beach 2 mode knows that depth is not its strong point. Operating submerged and in wet sand where Beach 1 can’t go is its sole purpose with the reduction in transmit power and much lower frequency weighting similar to Deus 2’s Diving mode. So, in wet sand where Equinox Beach 1 can’t operate and Beach 2 is the only option left……..Deus 2 may have the Equinox totally out gunned.

I have said this already but as the video maker said, those results are amazing and truly make Deus 2 for milder, low black sand saltwater beach hunting a true game changer just like Calabash said. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Anyone familiar with the Equinox Beach 2 mode knows that depth is not its strong point. 

For relic hunting on a wet beach, I have found that Beach 2 gives a clearer indication of targets at depth than Beach 1. I know that goes against the grain, but I have dug targets at massive depth with Beach 2. 

For example, I recently dug an 81mm mortar bomb that was resting tail up. The green line marked on this image was level with the beach when the tip of my spade hit the tail. I then had to dig down around the bomb to free it. That must be two feet depth before I reached the tail.

(It wasn't this hole - it's just a photo that I found which shows my spade)

20220118_235206.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Andrews said:

For relic hunting on a wet beach, I have found that Beach 2 gives a clearer indication of targets at depth than Beach 1. I know that goes against the grain, but I have dug targets at massive depth with Beach 2. 

For example, I recently dug an 81mm mortar bomb that was resting tail up. The green line marked on this image was level with the beach when the tip of my spade hit the tail. I then had to dig down around the bomb to free it. That must be two feet depth before I reached the tail.

(It wasn't this hole - it's just a photo that I found which shows my spade)

20220118_235206.jpg

That is amazing also.

Target size matters too. So does coil size like your 15X12" versus an 11".

The test by Carter was on deep coin sized objects  He did not mention whether he was able to get Beach 1 to run quietly enough to use it in his deep nickel test. As he demonstrated, on that beach a detector running at higher frequency weighting and without reduced transmit power was much more effective on those targets.

• Like 3

Yes coins and jewellery may be a different story, but on relics like 19th century bullets, up to solid shot etc, I have found that Beach 2 gives a better indication of targets at depth.  Maybe it's because of the program's weighting towards lower frequencies.

In all metal mode, with ground balance and with F2 0 iron bias, if you accept that deeper non-ferrous targets are going to have a significant iron "smudge" to their sound, it's possible to get incredible depth from Beach 2.

I feel that too many people dismiss it as the "in water" program.

• Like 1

Yes that is also what Minelab does in the manual. However, there is always the exception and Minelab acknowledges that too with this little blurb in the Equinox manual:

"The Detect Mode descriptions in the following section are for typical detecting locations. Some Detect Modes will be useful in locations not represented by the Mode name, icon, or description."

That is definitely a CYA, exceptions to every rule example.

Replace the word targets for the word locations in that sentence and that would also be valid. I have been known to run the Gold modes on saltwater beaches...........ugly on the ears, but effective.

This is why when someone proclaims a detector to be the greatest in the world.......you just never really know the answer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve Andrews said:

Me Too.  I think the "depth" myth between the two modes is over rated. Several times when I have located a deep target, I have switched to Beach 1.  Just don't see the difference.

Will do this today again to refresh my memory.  

• Like 2

Let's see where this view of Beach 2 being the weaker sister comes from.

94268361_Screenshotat2022-02-12193531.png.22dd170b29fb55859e2a4b5e21f3aff6.png

As discussed, two things stand out -- "lower transmit power" and "very low weighted multi-frequency".  The first part makes one feel that depth will be lost.  The second park (see Steve H.'s recent treatise on the relationship between target size and transmit frequency) is a mixed bag, depending upon target size.  A large artillery shell being found at sigificant depth with Beach 2 (and giving a better signal than Beach 1) could be due to this second point -- transmit frequencies weighted to the low end.

(Jeff, I realize this second point is what you were saying with "Target size matters."  I just linked to and added a bit more background explanation.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1