Was Underwater Detecting The Main Intent With Deus 2?

Steve Herschbach

As I stated in another thread recently, the only reason I am getting a Deus ii is for underwater detecting in the ocean unless it proves to be better than my Equinoxes. I was about to pull the trigger on a great priced used excalibur ii from the classified section of this forum when I learned about the Deus ii. It just makes sense for me to get it since it is waterproof. Most underwater detectorists where I hunt use the excal so why not see if the Deus can get targets missed by the excal? Also I don't want to risk submerging my Equinoxes and will most likely continue to use them on the dry sand or coil only submerged in water.

• Like 4

MF is a big advantage inland for coin/relic hunters like myself your not second guessing what KHz to set your machine, you can put it in a 24/4 40/4KHz  program and walk the fields without the worry your missing small/deep targets, 

I am working Roman/medieval sites and it's performing very very well around iron in MF modes,

Waterproof is a big advantage for me i am always tweaking on the fly to keep the machine stable i like to run my machines hot with the D1 i have to pocket the control unit in the rain,

When i go on holiday i like to have a few hours a day on the beach at the end of the day it's a great allrounder that suites everyone's needs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tin Can said:

MF is a big advantage inland for coin/relic hunters like myself your not second guessing what KHz to set your machine, you can put it in a 24/4 40/4KHz  program and walk the fields without the worry your missing small/deep targets

That’s the theory. That’s the sales pitch for sure. But is it the reality? Why are you not using a White’s V3i? Surely it’s better than the Deus 1 because it’s multifrequency. Multi is in no way magical - see Garrett Apex for the latest example. And it certainly at this point does not remove questions about what mode to hunt in, but actually adds to available setting options.

Long story short, it’s possible for multi to be the answer people need, but there are plenty of multi machines that have not risen to that level, and it’s far from proven yet that the Deus 2 will be one of them. I’m actually pretty optimistic, but that and a dollar won’t get a cup of coffee these days. :smile:

• Like 2

I bought the D2 after watching it's separation and recovery speed in trash and iron. The ability to find a good target amongst bottle caps and nails and still get a good VDI blew me away. Also the ability to ignore iron entirely. I am setting up a new YouTube channel to do "In the Wild" videos. I will do videos comparing with my other machines and I invite other CT guys to participate and test against your machines. This would be fun!!!

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Was Underwater Detecting The Main Intent With Deus 2?

Excellent post Steve, I'll be holding off (buying D2) for sure since I don't even detect the fresh water lakes where I live!

I was running Park 2 @ 40Khz last season with my EQ with some good success and will simply continue with that. Reality is I was simply 'blinded by the light' as the song goes...

looking forward to the 'thaw' to get out detecting again this season. Like'n the 5x10 on my EQ btw, it's a winner.

I look at all of the changes that XP made when comparing Deus 1 and Deus 2 and the biggest change for sure are the extraordinary fresh, and salt beach and underwater features and abilities that were added to Deus 2. Just creating a detector that could compete in the saltwater market automatically meant creating a viable form of simultaneous multi frequency operation that would not hamper the already outstanding target separation, recovery speed, iron handling capabilities and ergonomics of Deus 1. So far it appears that Deus 2 as a saltwater beach, saltwater diving and general diving detector will be formidable and also a godsend to hardcore beach detectorists and divers that want or need outstanding performance and outstanding ergonomics.

I probably spend around 10% of my yearly detecting with a coil and/or control box submerged or in danger of being submerged. That probably does not warrant buying a Deus 2. However, the ergonomics certainly do and so does the improved depth, target ID accuracy and ground handling possibilities for inland hunting of coins and jewelry.

As a relic hunter, I will always choose to own a Deus for handling areas with lots of iron trash on or near the surface and Deus 2 does appear to be the equal or slightly better than Deus 1 in that scenario too from the testing I have seen so far.

As a gold prospecting detector with the 9” coil……….don’t know yet.

• Like 3

It’s funny you brought this up because I was thinking the same thing today. Maybe they  are trying to get into the beach and water hunting now. One of my concerns is the underwater antenna...I detect in brackish water a lot and often the coil on my machines have a couple pounds of grass stuck to the coil and I wonder how well that will play with the antenna coming loose. 

Strick

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s the theory. That’s the sales pitch for sure. But is it the reality

No it's a fact from my own personal experience 

Why are you not using a White’s V3i? Surely it’s better than the Deus 1 because it’s multifrequency.

I was back in the day it's old hat now on no where as good as the D1 

Multi is in no way magical - see Garrett Apex for the latest example.

No it's not but magical but it has advantages on certain ground, comparing the Apex to the D2 is like comparing Lada to a Rolls Royce 

Long story short, it’s possible for multi to be the answer people need, but there are plenty of multi machines that have not risen to that level, and it’s far from proven yet that the Deus 2 will be one of them. I’m actually pretty optimistic, but that and a dollar won’t get a cup of coffee these days. :smile:

I have enough experience to know a good machine when i use one and i have now spent enough time with the D2 to confirm it has risen to the next level, no i am not a tester and i did not get a free machine.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Tin Can said:

No it's a fact from my own personal experience 

I was back in the day it's old hat now on no where as good as the D1 

No it's not but magical but it has advantages on certain ground, comparing the Apex to the D2 is like comparing Lada to a Rolls Royce 

I have enough experience to know a good machine when i use one and i have now spent enough time with the D2 to confirm it has risen to the next level, no i am not a tester and i did not get a free machine.

Thanks for setting me straight, and I apologize for my poor attempt at having a conversation. I did not know you have a Deus 2, certainly was not trying to belittle your expertise, and I’m quite pleased to hear you are impressed with what you have seen so far. :smile:

• Like 1