Top Minelab Equinox Mistakes

cjc

On 2/14/2022 at 5:49 AM, Steve Andrews said:

I can honestly say that I never use the pinpoint function, or the depth meter - and I'm not about to start now 🙂

"Hunting with no basic skills is great if you don't mind not having any idea what size and shape your signals are, where they are and if they are iron or not... 😁"

cjc

• Like 2

Saltwater beach hunting with the Equinox in the surf, wash, or  wet sand I rarely use the pinpoint function or pay much attention to the depth meter. The audio tells me enough to dig or not.

Gold prospecting....again, I rarely use the depth meter or pinpoint function.

Freshwater beach hunting or any kind of turf hunting for coins and jewelry and even relics, I am constantly using the pinpoint feature and the depth meter and any other form of target locator and target diagnostic feature available.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Saltwater beach hunting with the Equinox in the surf, wash, or  wet sand I rarely use the pinpoint function or pay much attention to the depth meter. The audio tells me enough to dig or not.

Gold prospecting....again, I rarely use the depth meter or pinpoint function.

Freshwater beach hunting or any kind of turf hunting for coins and jewelry and even relics, I am constantly using the pinpoint feature and the depth meter and any other form of target locator and target diagnostic feature available.

My list originally  started with |"...not using.." --changed it to "never...." for that reason. 

cjc

41 minutes ago, cjc said:

"Hunting with no basic skills is great if you don't mind not having any idea what size and shape your signals are, where they are and if they are iron or not... 😁"

cjc

I can tell all that without using the pinpoint function, or the "depth meter"

No basic skills 😀

In fact, I make a number of your "mistakes". Large coil with sens at 23, iron bias F2 0.. It's a wonder that I find anything at all!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Steve Andrews said:

I can tell all that without using the pinpoint function, or the "depth meter"

No basic skills 😀

In fact, I make a number of your "mistakes". Large coil with sens at 23, iron bias F2 0.. It's a wonder that I find anything at all!

Its easy to say all this stuff--context notwithstanding.  It's like the old " I dig everything" lament that conveniently misses the  part about "where".  You're having a conversation with yourself....

Im just saying  that inland., or in iron and junk infested  locations--these  skills will help if you chose to use them--especially (as stated--holy crow) if you  are a beginner. 

I gave up debates and hot dogs--for much the same reason--case in point. 

cjc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Steve Andrews said:

Oh I see.. Beginner mistakes. You should have said.

You've inspired me to try cranking that big coil once more--thanks!  And sorry  the original  blog post did  say  "beginner." http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/top-minelab-equinox-mistakes/ 

c

• Like 1

Clive, love your books, they've helped me tremendously to learn the nox. 

I have a quick question having to do with sensitivity or volume, im not sure which.

Usually when hunting with the nox, I can hear the difference in size between coin size targets and say small chunks of Hershey's kisses wrappers.

But I've found that especially in heavier trash, the smaller size objects all sound the same size, even tiny ground falses. I've found when this is happening I can only hear  large soda can size objects as being larger.

I try to keep my sensitivity in the 18 to 20 range.  Ground balance around here is usually 0 to 13.  F2 4 to 6.   Recovery speed 4to 6

And my detector volume at 19, and the equinox headphones as loud as they go.

If im hunting less dense trash, the problem isn't as pronounced.

This is pretty much my one big problem with the NOX--that the funky modulation just won't let you tell what is what size.  With wired phones--the soft audio is a bit annoying too.  My only suggestion would be to branch out a bit and use your pinpoint to tell size.  I also go back and forth to Horeshoe to tell more solid objects by which side of the line the assign to.  You might also try G2 as a checker with some rejects in to make the signal jump over.  This sizing thing is critical and those who don't fancy using Pinpoint or the cross sweep pay a price in frustration. 

Hope this helps. 

cjc