White's Trx Versus Fisher F-Pulse

Thanks to @GB_Amateur, I am now the proud owner of a TRX and I compared it to my trusty F-Pulse.

A picture is worth 1,000 words. Also, I have beautiful penmanship and I'm just looking for a way to show it off, so please enjoy the following pic.

Legend:

F-Pulse B = When the F-Pulse "bottomed out" or "overloaded." This means the pinpointer vibrated and beeped at its maximum level and stayed that way even if the pinpointer was brought closer to the 9V battery. This is the point when your pinpointer can't tell you if you're any closer to your target.

TRX B = When the TRX bottomed out or overloaded.

#F-Pulse = When the F-Pulse consistently first started going off on the 9V battery target.

*TRX = The closest point when the TRX first started going off on the 9V battery target.

!TRX = The furthest point when the TRX first started going off on the 9V battery target.

A few notes:

The dead 9V battery was used as a target. The TRX was on #3 sensitivity level and the F-Pulse was on medium sensitivity. Both were on virbrate + beep.

The TRX smoked the F-Pulse, but I'm still not sure which I'll keep. The F-Pulse feels a lot more substantial and robust. Plus, that gasket on the TRX seems...untrustworthy.

The TRX's max range varied a bit. The max ranage varied b/w the *TRX and ! TRX tick marks.

The distance b/w TRX B and *TRX or !TRX is its closing or ratcheting range, and quite the range it has! I knew it was good in this respect and it did not disappoint.

TRXP.jpg

• Like 2

The best thing about the TRX is it points mostly on the tip, I don't like the ones that gose off on the sides. If you have a target in the side of a hole, it takes alot longer to find with a side pointer. The TRX will let you know if not in the bottom of hole.

4 minutes ago, Dean Stone said:

The best thing about the TRX is it points mostly on the tip, I don't like the ones that gose off on the sides. If you have a target in the side of a hole, it takes alot longer to find with a side pointer. The TRX will let you know if not in the bottom of hole.

I have yet to do extensive hunting with the TRX, but its "detects at the tip" feature seems to be useful, although it might take a few hunts to fully get used to.

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Try the same test in magnetite heavy soil.

I did some hunting today with the TRX and F-Pulse in my heavily mineralized clay soil. Both falsed slightly on the clay, although the TRX moreso. But both were easily quieted down by quickly pressing the button with the tips touching the clay soil. After quieting down, the TRX showed noticeably more detecting range (but nothing O-M-G worthy) and still smoked the F-Pulse when it came to total closing or ratcheting range.

However, when I did these outdoor tests/hunts, the TRX was on #4 sensitivity and the F-Pulse was on medium sensitivity. 

• Like 3

Take the TRX to the beach and try it in the wet sand, you'll quickly see why the F-pulse has its place, I love my Garrett Carrot AT the most out of all of my pinpointers and use it almost everywhere, yet if I'm going to the beach the F-pulse is coming along instead.

I'm astonished you could run the TRX in mineralised soil in maximum sensitivity, I can't do that here without having a painful experience and I don't even think our gold area soil is that bad, although it does contain quite a bit of black sand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Take the TRX to the beach and try it in the wet sand, you'll quickly see why the F-pulse has its place, I love my Garrett Carrot AT the most out of all of my pinpointers and use it almost everywhere, yet if I'm going to the beach the F-pulse is coming along instead.

I'm astonished you could run the TRX in mineralised soil in maximum sensitivity, I can't do that here without having a painful experience and I don't even think our gold area soil is that bad, although it does contain quite a bit of black sand.

I don't have any salt water beaches nearby, but I believe you in that the F-Pulse will be better suited for saltwater beach hunting over the TRX. And that's another reason to potentially keep the F-Pulse over the TRX b/c I hope to hunt beaches some day...

As for running my TRX in my mineralized soil, I'm pretty sure that retuning/detuning the TRX when I pressed the button while the tip was toucing the soil (or turning it on with the tip touching the soil) dramatically reduced the range. When I was doing indoor testing the other day, #4 sensitivity on the TRX falsed a lot, so I was constantly retuning/detuning it to quiet it down. And when I did, I noticed a 0.5 to 1 inch loss in overall detection range. However, even with this reduced range, it was often still better than my F-Pulse in not just overall ratcheting ability, but maximum detection range, too.

• Like 1

This thread made me realize I've lost my XP Mi-4 pinpointer, I've spent the last hour searching everywhere! I must have left it somewhere.  Time to get organized, I'm going to have to make a pin pointer holder where I can store them all together not scattered around wherever I leave them.  It took me long enough to find all of the ones I've got left.

I've found similar, retuning lowers sensitivity. 

I'm surprised even your air test results are so different between the F-pulse and TRX, mine aren't all that different from memory, I'll have to recheck.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm surprised even your air test results are so different between the F-pulse and TRX, mine aren't all that different from memory, I'll have to recheck.

Keep in mind that I'm testing the F-Pulse on medium sensitivity because using it on max means it bottoms out or overloads when even a coin-sized target is still relatively far away, so it's a worthless setting to me.

• Like 2

What I like about the TRX is it picks up foil! Also turns on/off quickly.

• Like 2