Black Gold From Arizona And Hard To Find.

Great job tracking down those space rocks, amigo…that big one is a real trophy…WTG!

• Like 2

nice finds. really like that last pic with the flow lines. i cant help but think of all the hot rocks and iron stones i have
dug up and tossed out of washes over the years. must have been a few space rocks in the bunch.
Franconia, gold basin, Willcox and Holbrook have all been on my bucket list for years.
i really should do a dedicated Meteorite hunt, but the bits of gold
have me chasing them instead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bishop said:

i really should do a dedicated Meteorite hunt, but the bits of gold
have me chasing them instead.

I didn't even attempt to chase a nugget on this trip.  Set your mind to it and go.

• Like 2

Nice finds, I would have just tossed them thinking that they were just hot rocks. One of these days I need to learn about the difference of some of the rocks that I find.

Good luck on your next hunt!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Congrats.  Any swing there you could have found gold. (Assuming you were in Gold Basin)  I have seen baseball size meteorites come from an area south of the helicopter refueling area.  Not going to give specific area since it's all private property.

• Like 1

Good stuff, Gerry, especially the big one, but I think your pick needs a shave.  How deep were your finds?  Besides going deeper, are there other reasons that a PI should be better at finding meteorites?  Ignoring hot rocks ('cold stones' as you like to call them), or does that risk throwing the baby out with the bath water?

• Like 1

Good job Gerry.

I started looking for meteorites about 10 years ago when I had only my 5000.  It was difficult for me at first and I had to get help from some expert meteorite hunters.  They eventually showed me how to set up that machine and I was able to find some sub 10 gram meteorites.  Those are hard to pick out against the patina and hot rock strata in Gold Basin.  They are easier to find when looking for irons at Franconia.

The 7000 is a good detector for meteorites but you have to be in the right place.

That big one you found is probably bigger than any I've found out of the dozens now so you did a good job there.  All of them are getting harder to find.

How many did Lunk get?

Mitchel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Good stuff, Gerry, especially the big one, but I think your pick needs a shave.  How deep were your finds?  Besides going deeper, are there other reasons that a PI should be better at finding meteorites?  Ignoring hot rocks ('cold stones' as you like to call them), or does that risk throwing the baby out with the bath water?

So many Hot Rocks in the area it's just faster to use a PI unit.  

Yes I've probably tossed a few in my early days with the bath water.

• Like 2