Black Gold From Arizona And Hard To Find.

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

How many did Lunk get?

He decided to hunt the more expensive Au rocks but I know he has found Meteorites in times past and is well versed at it.  He was my mentor on previous trip and taught me alot.

• Like 2

Tektites are a recycled Earth material the Meteorites have made. The photo has one of my nuggets ( 4 Oz. ) to show the size of them. They do not respond to a metal detector. The normal finds are about the size of the two sitting on the nugget. So they are normally found when specking in my case for gold.

Tektite2.jpg.6fe1552d57d5f5932c4be05c889aced6.jpg

Tektites are small, pebble-like glassy objects of Earth material that have been melted by meteorite impact, splashed up into our atmosphere, and fallen to Earth again under gravity. They often acquire aerodynamic shapes when they partially melt on their return journey. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Always get a buzz when I find a tektite. 
You’d be surprised how many walk right passed them mistaking them for roo poo. How you tell the difference is you put them in your mouth and if you dribble green stuff, it’s not a tektite.

• Haha 8

Nice finds Gerry. I have found meteorites on dry lake beds driving around on a 4 wheeler using a earth magnet taped to a ski poll. A fun way to look for them. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MSC said:

Nice finds Gerry. I have found meteorites on dry lake beds driving around on a 4 wheeler using a earth magnet taped to a ski poll. A fun way to look for them. 

I like your way of hunting meteorites and you can certainly cover some ground.  What's the best one you have ever found doing that?

I have found 11 meteorite's in NV. at 3 different dry lake beds ( also 1 at GB found with a 5000). You need to drive around the perimeter of the bed to familiarize your self with the native rocks where there will be a lot of rocks around the old shore line. Move to the interior where there will be less and less rocks, when you see a darker rock, you drive up to it and see if your magnet sticks to it if not, move on. In the middle of the dry lake beds there are so few rocks, there is a better chance of a rock being a meteorite. This method really is a lot of fun especially looking with a buddy. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MSC said:

In the middle of the dry lake beds there are so few rocks, there is a better chance of a rock being a meteorite.

Can you explain why that is the case?  For starters, I don't even understand why there would be fewer rocks in view in the lakebed.  Is that because silt has covered most of them?  But then why wouldn't it do the same for a meteorite?  (Obviously I'm missing something, which I think I just proved.)

I like your magnet method -- doesn't require batteries.  😁

• Like 1

There are hundreds of meteorites that hit the earth each day, most land in the ocean and in places where they are very hard to find ( deep grass, rocky areas, steep mountains, ect.) some land on dry lake beds but it is a very easy area to find them just because looking is so much easer. Professional meteorite hunters look on glaciers, most any rock is a meteorite found on glaciers. So, on a dry lake bed, if there is a meteorite. it will be easer to find just because of the barrenness of the terrain and the lack of shore rock that make their way to the center areas of the dry lake beds. You don't have to believe me,  check for your self. I have had very good success, not every one does.  

• Like 1

Most dry lake beds in Utah and Nevada are covered with salt from the many times they have filled with water then dried up, some have many inches to feet thick covering what use to be the bottom so only salt and minerals are exposed. Any rocks on the dry lake bed are on the old shore line as you get 20 to 30 feet out, there are no more rocks or very few.  If there are meteorites they a very easy to see and test with a magnet.  

• Like 2