Testing Weak Gold Targets & Ground / Salt Settings

• The title was changed to Testing Weak Gold Targets & Ground / Salt Settings

On 2/14/2022 at 11:09 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Multi frequency machines can eliminate both salt and ground at the same time, but this can actually work against you, by doubling the chance of some targets being missed, as you now have two “holes” to deal with instead of one.

Would it be safe to assume that the GB adjustments on MF detector such as the Nox would mostly adjust the location of the ferrous ground type hi-pass filter, as opposed to adjusting the range of the the other filter trying to ignore the non-ferrous salt water ground response, in general?

I guess my logic is that, depending on the composition of the ferromagnetic minerals in the ground, the location of their 'time-constant' changes, but the wet salty ground signal time constant is relatively stable - just the intensity differs?

2 hours ago, mcjtom said:

Would it be safe to assume that the GB adjustments on MF detector such as the Nox would mostly adjust the location of the ferrous ground type hi-pass filter, as opposed to adjusting the range of the the other filter trying to ignore the non-ferrous salt water ground response, in general?

I guess my logic is that, depending on the composition of the ferromagnetic minerals in the ground, the location of their 'time-constant' changes, but the wet salty ground signal time constant is relatively stable - just the intensity differs?

You can speculate as you wish or as seems logical. Unless the engineers involved reveal the process, which they won’t, all we can do is speculate. Personally, I work more in the realm of observing what adjustments work best for me in the field. The Tarsacci is a good example of a detector where people are using the salt balance for things I’m not sure it was ever intended before. Now that things are done in microprocessors via what are essentially computer programs, some of the classic thinking as applied to analog circuits no longer holds. If these things are of great interest to you, I’d suggest joining Carl Morelands Geotech forum, for more in depth discussion by a decidedly more tech oriented crowd. At the end of the day I’m certainly no engineer, and don’t much care how the guts gets things done as long as they get done. But maybe somebody else will chime in with their thoughts on the question.

A long winded way of saying “I don’t know” :smile:

• Like 1