Deus 2, Disappointed By What I Saw

4 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

1300 dollars is a good price. I'm guessing from a friend who is a dealer? Reason I say that is because I have a close friend who is a dealer and offered me a good price. Kind of leery of paying less just incase something with the warranty should come up..

I would sure like to find a new D2 at 1300. Guess I haven’t found the right dealer yet. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2022 at 6:52 AM, diggindaboot said:

I ran my buddies D2 while he used his Nox 800 yesterday at the beach. It's really not close. The 800 is a better beach detector by far. My D2 is coming in Tuesday. I paid 1300 dollars. I'm not even going to remove it from the box. I'm going to sell it. Very disappointed after having such high hopes. 

Xp will need to do something with how the vdi screen is constantly changing when swinging over a target. It's a major annoyance. 

you are always better off testing with that kind of a target--not a solid loop. that said, I get the sense that because the metal is competing with the grounds signal--and not that different----it's being biased out--that is the difference is seen as an alloy--just as would a weak, flat bottlecap signal. there's a lot going on with the fidelity of this machine as well. signal balancing becomes much more complex. the adjustments you were making might just not be the right ones...😆 I was  similarly shocked  trying to run the CTX big coil in salt water--it was  missing all  but surface targets.  But after MUCH fiddling--low Gain, super slow E/W sweep, some disc lines to clean up the target assignment, tests that alternated between fast and slow retuning --I was finally  getting green rings at 18" +.   

It's almost like signal balancing has become some "forgotten secret" that everyone thinks these  new machines full of presets will  make unnecessary.  They wont--and when you  add  in these complex audio, bias and salt balance features there's  even  more testing needed to get specific desired  results. 

cjc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

1300 dollars is a good price. I'm guessing from a friend who is a dealer? Reason I say that is because I have a close friend who is a dealer and offered me a good price. Kind of leery of paying less just incase something with the warranty should come up..

Very reputable dealer. I've bought several detectors from him as well as connecting some buddies with him. He is a sponsor on several other forums. 

BTW, the D2 did arrive today. I haven't even removed the wrapping from the box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diggindaboot said:

Very reputable dealer. I've bought several detectors from him as well as connecting some buddies with him. He is a sponsor on several other forums. 

BTW, the D2 did arrive today. I haven't even removed the wrapping from the box.

Do you think the issue you saw was because you nulled out the VDI range that the ring hits on? I am interested in buying it if you live in the States, I'm here on the Northern California coast.

I haven't commented on the Deus 2, never held one and nothing against them or XP but out of curiosity did you try manually ground balancing the machine?

I have 2 machines that have Salt Modes, one is a SMF other is just s MF. The SMF has the Multi Salt and though it works absulutely excellent in the wet sand I found that the sand is not always true beach sand and the ground balancing can be off ie greater than 25 even in the wet in places as they tend to truck it in to fill the beaches. That particular machine will struggle with ground balancing because it has a mixed ground phase.

The MF I don't use the beach mode but rather just manually ground balance it and I can run that just about anywheres with the exception of patches of black sand that gives all the machines fits.

Not to critisize the Deus or it's salt mode but there is a chance the sand is not natural and could be the issue.