The Beauty Of The Deus Has Always Been...no Wires (even If You Need The Antenna Wire)...

barryny

6 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Looks great Barry! I seen a few in the Uk did the same, my question.. will it affect the warranty?

One reason I was considering making another shaft for it. I hate anything that may snag in the seaweed or get hooked on something. I'm still on hold till late summer so plenty of time to watch others and learn.

Joe - that's a separate little piece - so it's replaceable.  The antenna wire is no different than a wired coil cable relative to snagging...right?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I like garage mods, particularly when they look professional, as this.  But a couple concerns:

1) How much stress on the cable occurs when the coil is rotated such that the toe of the coil touches the shaft?

2) I would use a rat tail file to both remove the sharp edge and elongate (make elliptical) that hole in the first picture to reduce stress concentration at the contact zone between housing and cable.

Hope it works for you (and other water detectorists).

1. The cable has the ability to get longer by pulling it out or shorter by pushing it in - no problem there.

2. Good point - but it really isn't moving much if at all - also the cable insulator is pretty solid.  I'm thinking a dab of hot glue in that hole to isolate movement and keep water out solves everything...

6 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Looks great Barry! I seen a few in the Uk did the same, my question.. will it affect the warranty?

One reason I was considering making another shaft for it. I hate anything that may snag in the seaweed or get hooked on something. I'm still on hold till late summer so plenty of time to watch others and learn.

I didn't see that...I think some of the UK boys copied me as soon as they saw it posted on the FB forums...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The CTX 3030 ran it's coil cable up into the shaft in a similar way, and it became a wear point for the coil cable with quite a number of coils failing from the cables at the entry point down near the bottom of the shaft causing wear to the cables insulation and even broken wires inside the cable at that point.  As a workaround people were putting tape around the bottom of the coil cable to give it a bit of extra protection.  This mod may cause the same sort of wear over time to the antenna cable, so perhaps something might be required to toughen up the cable in that spot. 

I just played around with the bottom - the way it feeds up the lower shaft - it doesn't touch the sides of the hollow shaft opening - I really don't see any issues...and...it's a cheap replacement if needed it has nothing to do with the coil...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, barryny said:

1. The cable has the ability to get longer by pulling it out or shorter by pushing it in - no problem there.

That's good, but my point #1 concerns the minimum bend radius of the cable (avoiding kinking) -- my bad for not making that clear -- and this occurring when the toe of the coil housing reaches one extreme and touches the shaft. 

It makes you wonder if it's so simple to do, and obviously beneficial why didn't XP do it, it surely can't be they didn't think of it. 

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

It makes you wonder if it's so simple to do, and obviously beneficial why didn't XP do it, it surely can't be they didn't think of it. 

1.  It is possible they didn't think of it.

2. They used many of the tooling from the Deus 1 - and they didn't even have an antenna for that - you had to make your own.

3. When I take it out to the beach - I'll see if there are any issues - if so, no problem to just go back to the wrap around...

11 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

That's good, but my point #1 concerns the minimum bend radius of the cable (avoiding kinking) -- my bad for not making that clear -- and this occurring when the toe of the coil housing reaches one extreme and touches the shaft. 

The antenna cable is somewhat like headhone cable.  I just rotated the coil all the way flat and then 90 degree straight up - the cable hardly even moved.  I really see zero issues.

It's the same thing when you have a wired coil - you leave some room in the cable for the coil to rotate...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, barryny said:

Joe - that's a separate little piece - so it's replaceable.  The antenna wire is no different than a wired coil cable relative to snagging...right?

Agreed.  It costs about $10 to replace…not a big warranty risk item.  If it subsequently breaks because you drilled a hole in it or for some other reason, just buy a new one.  Example of where you can purchase one:

https://www.metaldetector.com/xp-deus-plastic-mounting-bracket-kit-for-remote-control

Yeah, XP didn’t think of it but consider the fact they provided the modular framework and detachable wire kit that enabled Barry to come up with a nice low cost, low effort, and low risk alternative solution.  Believe me, if XP considered providing the hidden wire solution a la Barry, people would be complaining about having to snake the wire up the tube, stress points, and internal snags if they wanted to fully retract their stems on a regular basis and wondering aloud about why XP didn’t just tell you to wrap the wire around the stem.  Lol, it’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t.  Just be glad for options and clever ideas. :rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

The CTX 3030 ran it's coil cable up into the shaft in a similar way, and it became a wear point for the coil cable with quite a number of coils failing from the cables at the entry point down near the bottom of the shaft causing wear to the cables insulation and even broken wires inside the cable at that point.  As a workaround people were putting tape around the bottom of the coil cable to give it a bit of extra protection.  This mod may cause the same sort of wear over time to the antenna cable, so perhaps something might be required to toughen up the cable in that spot. 

How I solved😁

IMG_20220216_065417.jpg

• Like 1