Shortening Gold Bug 2 Cable

Is it me or does it seem like the cable for the GB2 is about twice as long as it needs to be? I guess I understand that you are supposed to be able to mount the control box to yourself. Has anyone shortened theirs? Would this cause any issues with the detector? 

It can be done, but the wires are very small and hard to solder back on.  I had to fix several older coils with shrink wrap after the rubber coating became brittle and separated, so I had to take the connector off. You should use plastic dip also too keep the wires from twisting and shorting.

C32816B3-D546-4C52-84F8-7E8BB4E54A35.jpeg

• Like 4

Yea, the cable is very long, your right, is because of the ability to mount the control box on your belt. the detector is so light I have just leave it on the detector. 

I wrapped a portion of the cable tightly with wraps touching and taped it to the rod with electricians tape.  Left enough loosely wrapped to allow full extension of the rod.  I would have included a photo, but the GB2 is in Arizona and I am in Alberta shoveling snow.  Not too smart.

15 hours ago, hawkeye said:

I wrapped a portion of the cable tightly with wraps touching and taped it to the rod with electricians tape.  Left enough loosely wrapped to allow full extension of the rod.  I would have included a photo, but the GB2 is in Arizona and I am in Alberta shoveling snow.  Not too smart.

Thats how mine is too. Just figured it would be worth looking in to so i dont have to do that every time i switch my coil around. 

I guess I Brake For Bedrock comment got deleted from above. He was giving me a bad time, telling me to worry about gold and not worry about shortening the cable.