Deus 2 Vs Simplex High Mineralization Video

2 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Most of what you are seeing as far as good and bad numbers corresponding to direction of swing over the target is from high iron mineralization not just from man-made iron.

Thanks for the explanation, Jeff.  There certainly were extreme's of dTID's with the Deus 2 in some cases -- 90's in some directions and single digits in other directions.  I get this sometimes in my moderately mineralized (Fe3O4) ground which I interpret as iron targets (e.g. nails).  It's why I cringe when people give advice "only dig if you get good signals in both directions".  That advice has cost me but finally I figured out not to trust it, and it's produced more good finds.

Your (plural) nasty soil is one more complication and what separates the experts from the also-rans.

31 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for the explanation, Jeff.  There certainly were extreme's of dTID's with the Deus 2 in some cases -- 90's in some directions and single digits in other directions.  I get this sometimes in my moderately mineralized (Fe3O4) ground which I interpret as iron targets (e.g. nails).  It's why I cringe when people give advice "only dig if you get good signals in both directions".  That advice has cost me but finally I figured out not to trust it, and it's produced more good finds.

Your (plural) nasty soil is one more complication and what separates the experts from the also-rans.

The more difficult dirt out here will give very good target IDs on detectors that are capable of that like the Equinox, Vanquish, Deus 2 and hopefully the Legend down to about 6" if the ground has not been disturbed. This has been reported by many people here on this forum, not just me. Some places it is a little less and some places can go a little deeper with identifiable target IDs. Moisture conditions certainly play a part.

The Simplex has some of the better IDs for a single frequency detector in the dirt that I used it on. 

So, Paystreak knew what he was doing when he put those coins in the ground at 6" which is right on the borderline for good IDs for a dime in undisturbed ground. In disturbed ground there are many VLF detectors that would not even hit that dime and if they did, the responses would either be iron grunts, highest target IDs on the detector or no target ID displayed.

The fact that both detectors gave some occasional correct IDs was impressive. 

That tells me that if those were wild undisturbed targets at 6", both detectors (especially Deus 2) would have had even better numbers and tones

• Like 5

....perhaps most surprised me ... in this test in mineralization, the detection is weak for such a large 1 dollar coin .... in 6 inches ... the depth and the effect of shifting the ID of the high conductor .. into the iron zone /Wrap/is very strong .... in both detectors ..

... I would like to see a nickel test at the same depth /6"/.... that would help appreciate the mineralization of its terrain more ..

• Like 1

Here's a follow up video he did using the Equinox with a 6" coil. He makes sure the hole is clean. But doesn't give his settings, other than he says they are settings he uses when he hunts. I will say and I'm sure he knows this as he was packing down the soil when filling the hole back in, Equinox doesn't like freshly buried targets.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

I wouldn't enjoy coin detecting very much in that soil, finding a big coin like that in his soil is as difficult as finding a little nugget in an area covered in shotgun pellets.

I can get to the depth of detection with a few of my detectors and still get reasonably accurate ID's, often quite a bit deeper than a Carrot even on a small silver coin.  There must be so many hidden silver coins in his environment that technology of today just can't find, especially when about 90% of the silvers I find are at around Carrot depth he's not even capable of detecting near that depth.

I think people are barking up the wrong tree wanting better VLF detectors for bad soil like that, it's time for a decent discriminating PI, or the holy grail, a PI with target ID 🙂

His videos give me a bit of insight into how some others live though as he found the Simplex reasonable, in my soil with virtually no minerals its one of the worst if not the worst performing detectors I own for ID accuracy at depth, for him it did reasonably well identifying a target at his 6 inch limit where as I'm more concerned about 9 + inches.  Even at 6" in my soil the Simplex is bouncy where as other detectors like the Vanquish are solid ID's.  In my soil on that coin at 6" the Nox with 6" coil wouldn't flutter, it'd be rock solid, the Simplex would be quite bouncy but give enough information to dig it when your brain filters out all the ID instability.

The take home from this is people have to be very careful watching videos from different parts of the world, what they see on screen might very well be not even remotely what happens for them when they try the detectors in question out in their soil.  It could be the complete opposite.  It's why I always base opinions from many sources of information from various people all over the world, a large pool of people is required to form a balanced opinion.

I like this guys videos, a good demonstration of difficult soil conditions.

• Like 3

Paystreak is a little quirky but he knows his stuff and usually gives a detector a fair assessment. Sometimes he goes a bit overboard and just like anybody he makes a setting mistake and he draws the wrong conclusion.  He usually acknowledges that and appreciates feedback from viewers. 

Anyone who lives near the Rocky Mountains of North America can learn from videos like his. 

• Like 2

I guess it won't be long and we'll see that, I expect very little difference to detectors already out there, I just don't understand anyone thinking another VLF is going to be a miracle machine when the technology is so maxed out already.

I live on a 1860 homestead that was a railroad tie makers camp, a military camp, a civil war soldiers home, a stage coach stop and had the local most prominent family of the day living on it. Much of the land is covered in nails and I have dedicated myself to removing everything from the ground. 2 silver pocket watches, countless brass pocket watches, 4 gold rings, 100's of wheats, countless scraps of silver but only 6 silver coins. 500+ clad coins....But.

I have "soil" but its so filled with minerals and rust that some areas I can only see a clad dime at 2" other areas I can see a wheat at 7"+. I found a bowie knife at 12" last night in the packed gravel driveway. The pay layer of old coins is somewhere down there. Every time I have had to do any ditching to bury a power line or water line I bring up old coins, 3 coins from 12"+ deep the last 30' ditch I did. I have resorted to trying to dig every large nail and iron and I am literally at about 100lbs of nails and iron this month over this 2 acre area.

I have been running the Whites v3i for 12 years, and run every coil 4x6" through the 18x15" and use every frequency to squeak any signal I can 

I am hoping that the DEUS 2 might help but there may just be no magic bullet for ground like this.

• Like 4

Why do you not just use a PI Burlguy? You're basically digging every iron signal anyway, you may as well have the superior depth the PI will give you and not even bother with another VLF.

• Like 2