Steve’s Detector Rods S Shaft - Nag And You Shall Receive!

nickelNdimed

I know this topic has come up here a few times and there are some of us out there who prefer an S shaft.  We have debated the benefits of the straight vs S shaft, counter balancing, offered Frankenstein solutions, discussed the limited available options.  

When Steve announced he was working on an S shaft option for Equinox, and mentioned he was looking for testers, I jumped at the chance to try this out.  I provided Steve my thoughts on the prototype I received from another tester in Florida, exchanged a few messages.  Great guy to work with. 

I believe the prototype shaft was only getting one small tweak so I immediately placed my order.  Couldn’t wait to get my production version!  A few days later, Steve had my S shaft built and in the mail. Behold the Equinox S shaft from Steve’s Detector Rods!

I opted for black red color and no counterweight but I believe he is offering that option on this shaft same as on the straight shafts.

I’d also like to thank Steve for listening to us and now offering this beautifully executed solution! Some pictures for your enjoyment below.

5241AC09-A4BC-463D-85A4-8DA341039534.jpeg

047B0CF0-C358-48B7-825C-873153B3B688.jpeg

D1ED3BCF-83AC-43BD-9DD7-E44E2F1316A5.jpeg

75899E4B-D621-45F5-AC62-38B5EEC342DB.jpeg

BC1347C7-C622-4C7F-A87F-75A16CDDBAD6.jpeg

568C0D02-9988-4582-B10D-6BF25AE779EB.jpeg

ACB49FCC-A363-43AA-BB87-10FC8DED7E02.jpeg

CB9A9AA5-1092-4B84-8A38-2ADDB234E402.jpeg

19542AEC-E2FD-4BD2-A738-05ACCBA3281A.jpeg

• Like 9

• The title was changed to Steve’s Detector Rods S Shaft - Nag And You Shall Receive!

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Question: the distance b/w the control pod and the "S" bend in the shaft - is that some arbitrary measurement? Or is there a reason the control pod is situated where it is? I just ask b/c I'm wondering how the ergonomics might be affected if the control pod is pushed closer to the "S" bend to possibly shorten the overall length when collapsed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mh9162013 said:

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Question: the distance b/w the control pod and the "S" bend in the shaft - is that some arbitrary measurement? Or is there a reason the control pod is situated where it is? I just ask b/c I'm wondering how the ergonomics might be affected if the control pod is pushed closer to the "S" bend to possibly shorten the overall length when collapsed.

I believe it is as close as it can get and still allow for easy removal of coil connection.  Further away limits the range of the lower rod.  

• Like 2

Another great product from Steve! What is the total length of the upper shaft, as it is one piece? And is there just one mounting hole for the POD, or are there a few for adjustment?

Thank's for the view!👍👍

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nickeldNdimed said:

I believe it is as close as it can get and still allow for easy removal of coil connection.  Further away limits the range of the lower rod.  

That makes sense, thanks.

I'm itchin' to buy this, but I have to see if I'll prioritize it over a smaller coil (6" or 10x5 Coiltek). Then there's the NoxBox...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Another great product from Steve! What is the total length of the upper shaft, as it is one piece? And is there just one mounting hole for the POD, or are there a few for adjustment?

Thank's for the view!👍👍

Upper is one piece and it is about same length as upper and middle on stock shaft as you can see in one of the pics. I only have one pod hole and cuff is adjustable like stock shaft. 

From my experience and other comments I have seen, Steve is willing to work with individuals and make adjustments or customization when possible.  I’d check with him on any unique needs or questions.  He was even willing to make me a three piece iteration but at the end I settled for his original concept as I did not want to add more weight on the wrong end and keep it as light as possible. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

That makes sense, thanks.

I'm itchin' to buy this, but I have to see if I'll prioritize it over a smaller coil (6" or 10x5 Coiltek). Then there's the NoxBox...

I debated the shaft over the Coiltek but couldn’t pass up the shaft when Steve finally offered us this solution. Maybe if I hold out on the coil, someone will come out with a lighter 10X5 option...  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

Then there's the NoxBox...

Ok, what's the NoxBox? 🤔🤪