Question About Garrett Ace Apex Coils

shayke007

Hello,

i just bought my new Garrett Ace Apex with 8.5x11 Raider Coil

This is my first metal detector and I relied on a person who recommended it to me and I was sure everyone came with a viper coil.

And in the end I got an 8.5 raider coil. I wanted to ask what is the difference between them? Does the viper have higher detection capabilities? Apart from the size there is a real difference? im usually working on the beach and i want to know if i will miss things with this coil?

thanks!

I have an Ace Apex with three Garrett coils, Ripper, Viper and Raider.  The Raider will give you a little more depth and ground coverage, especially on the beach.  I actually prefer the Raider coil over the Viper for these reasons, and I hunt inland. I seldom use the Viper coil unless I’m in the woods or taller grass.

I’ve not noticed much of a difference in separation capability between  the Raider or Viper. The Raider is a bit heavier than the Viper, but I doubt the little extra weight will bother you.  

Good luck hunting on the beach!

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!!!!

The Viper coil's quality control were hit and miss. A lot of hype was associated with the release of that coil. For many, it has underperformed.

The Raider coil is a tried and true design that has been on many of the AT series detectors. You won't miss much with that coil depending on your beach's salt and iron sand levels and the amount of trash targets present.

It is definitely heavier than Viper, but both get heavy with sand all over them and inside their coil covers.

Enjoy and HH

• Like 3

Smaller the coils the better the are around trash where targets are close together but smaller coils have less depth.

For beach hunting the Raider is a bit deeper than the stock Viper and lighter than the Reaper.

Raider is a good choice for beach hunting and you should do well with it. I have a Viper, Ultimate 9" which I use the most and a Reaper. I found that the Reaper strains my elbow if I use it too long. Found it a little tough to work an embankments due to the weight but will probably use it in open fields with low trash.

Raider is the same size coil that is stock on the AT Pro and Max.

• Like 1

Weights without coil cover :

- Ripper : 320g   ( Apex+Ripper 1,09kg )
- Viper   : 400g   ( Apex+Viper   1,17kg )
- Raider : 460g   ( Apex+Raider 1,23kg )
- Reaper : not tested

I have used an Apex a few months last year ( 50hours ) for inland hunting . For me it would be a very good detector without the reliability issues I had with it ( coil , coil connectors, electronics stability bugs ).  I hope its ok with yours ... 

I mainly used my Apex with the Ripper which is very light , fun to use and excellent in the iron trash.  The Viper is also a good coil but a little heavier . I gave just a try to the Raider but it was too front heavy for me . 

HH

Capture.PNG

• Like 2