Got Out, Got Gold!

18 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

With a bad auto accident in spring and all the fires later, 2021 was not a banner year for me to get out and search for nuggets. So I started a bit early this year with a invite from a friend to the low country in the far western edges of the Sierra Nevada. It was a great trip with excellent weather in the mid-70s. I got some good gold but my tent was attacked and stomped on by cows! I think these were attack cows, specially bred by the military for stealth counter-terrorism. 😉
Or something like that.....🤣

The tent is repairable though I needed to buy a new section of tent pole and give the tent a through washing. The photo below shows the gold, 7.4 grams, just a bit shy of a quarter ounce. The largest piece, at 3.5 grams was a partial sunbaker - partly covered but some of it was showing. It was good to get out and find some gold, I enjoyed it so much I did up a Youtube video if you are interested its at: https://youtu.be/hNeHNJVG7LQ

A cow attack! Not too bad though. If it were in Alaska, it would be bears and the tent in shreds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

A cow attack! Not too bad though. If it were in Alaska, it would be bears and the tent in shreds.

I freely admit a bear attack would be far, far worse than a cow attack. I'll be out there again in the coming weeks. This time I'll be prepared for the attack cows. I'll also be trying some different things with my detectors to find gold. When I get the results, I'll post some photos here.

• Like 2

Well done.  It always helps to have a pointy finger along on a trip.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:38 PM, Reno Chris said:

With a bad auto accident in spring and all the fires later, 2021 was not a banner year for me to get out and search for nuggets. So I started a bit early this year with a invite from a friend to the low country in the far western edges of the Sierra Nevada. It was a great trip with excellent weather in the mid-70s. I got some good gold but my tent was attacked and stomped on by cows! I think these were attack cows, specially bred by the military for stealth counter-terrorism. 😉
Or something like that.....🤣

Chris, were you on the California side or the Nevada side of the Cascades? It sorta looks like the California side.

Chris, that is funny about the cow. I have had a cow ransack my camp before as well. I thought it was a bear that did it until I woke up the next morning in my suburban and the vehicle was shaking back and forth. I heard breathing outside the window and looked up to see a black Angus cow breathing against the window. Lol.  She ended up hanging around my camp that morning even walking under my tarp in my camp kitchen area  looking for anything she could eat. She licked all the hamburger grease off of the propane grill and drank all the dirty, soapy dish water in a small tub I had on the ground for washing dishes. She ate 8 oats and honey granola bars, 3 cans of V8 juice, and a water bottle full of NO Explode energy drink.  Glad you were able to get out and get some good gold. Being able to get out and find some gold and camping out was probably some good medicine for your mind and body. Good for you. Find some more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What size are your tent poles?

They are 12 mm outside diameter, which seems to be an unusual size.

were you on the California side or the Nevada side of the Cascades?

California side of the Sierra Nevada in the low foothills.

find some gold and camping out was probably some good medicine for your mind and body. Good for you. Find some more.

The guy I went with has tent camped there at that same spot a number of times with no problem. However there were maybe 35 cows - not just one or two. Yes, getting out was good for mind and body, I have a feel for the area now and I'm looking to return and give it another go. This time I'll be putting up an impromptu tarp tent in the back of my pickup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

They are 12 mm outside diameter, which seems to be an unusual size.

California side of the Sierra Nevada in the low foothills.

The guy I went with has tent camped there at that same spot a number of times with no problem. However there were maybe 35 cows - not just one or two. Yes, getting out was good for mind and body, I have a feel for the area now and I'm looking to return and give it another go. This time I'll be putting up an impromptu tarp tent in the back of my pickup.

Let me know if you want company. I got a new GPX6000 and have yet to turn it on!

Very nice chunky gold Chris and I enjoyed your geology video as well.