XP Deus 2 Vs Minelab Equinox 800 High Mineralized Soil & Emi

On 2/20/2022 at 9:01 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Just a point of clarification, it's not "hard wired" at all  The near field waveguide (antenna), just provides a means to enable the wireless signal from the coil to propagate to the remote control because water attenuates RF much more than air, there are no hard galvanic connects nor is current flowing from the coil to the remote in any situation with the Deus/Deus II.  As such, the waveguide antenna just clips onto a spoke on the coil and onto the top of the RC case to facilitate the installation.  For security, you can add an elastic band or zip tie to keep the coil clip in place while swinging the coil.

Because people would complain about that configuration vs. external wrapping as it would potentially interfere with the ability to extend and retract the shaft.  I address why XP is never going to please all the people all the time with this waveguide thing in this post in the thread where barryny, who came up with the idea that gigmaster uses, described his waveguide mod.  This antenna thing is not universally used by the majority of Deus users who do not submerge their coils in water.  It's just a fact of life that when you provide a versatile swiss army knife almost do-it-all type detector, everybody is going to complain about some aspect of the thing that is sub-optimized.  Just comes with the territory.

Chase, sorry for referring to the antenna as a hard wire.  However, it still is a wire that is connected to the detector on the outside of the shaft and I think XP could do better.   A coiled antenna wire within the shaft should not, in my view, cause problems with extending or retracting the shaft.  Apparently XP is aware of this because on their new dive shaft the antenna wire does go through  the fixed length shaft.  

Let me clarify as well that this is not a complaint about the design of the detector.  It's just a suggestion for a possible future improvement.  Also, while you may currently be right about the majority of Deus users not being beach hunters who submerge the coil, that may change given the Deus II's performance in the salt.  I do a fair amount of inland hunting and run across fellow hunters all the time.  But those numbers are no where close to what I see at the beach.  I kid you not, it's not at all unusual to find 10+ hunters at the beach on any given day, and they come in waves (no pun intended) starting at sundown.

• Thanks 1

Bill, thanks.  Just found out about the new D2 dive shaft accessory.  That’s great news and it looks like XP is going all in on accommodating the beach hunters and divers with this platform.  Glad XP is listening to the feedback and incorporating the user mods into mainstream XP supported accessories and design mods.  Having options is great.  

Hope they also listen to those of us clamoring for a D2 compatible 10x5 form factor coil to round out the accessory coil options, too.

• Like 2

I’m beginning to wonder if this won’t be another F75/T2 situation where those machines came out guns blazing and wowing everyone with amazing fringe depth. Those were the machines to have. Everyone was impressed that Dave Johnson found some extra depth. Then the EMI issues came to light. In some environments the EMI made the units intolerable. First Texas had to employ shielding and while still deep machines the shielding cut that impressive fringe depth down considerably to where they aren’t much deeper than other top of the line detectors. In fact, many machines have even surpassed them. Yet they are still widely reputed among those who don’t necessarily keep up with detector news to be the deepest of the deep because of the impression left on its debut. That could very well happen here as well and would be unfortunate for the sake of accuracy. I’m buying a Deus 2 on the next batch, but probably keeping my equinox around until I see how these issues are ironed out. Something tells me we may see some of the advantages we see now tamped or toned down over time as feedback is taken into account and compromises made in future updates. Yet, by then, it’s initial impression of taking depth up a new notch will be cemented in the minds of many. 

From my standpoint I havent seen any EMI issue after having done a few depth tests on my test boxes . These boxes are 4 or 5m close to my house . The D2 has always been stable whatever the mode . My ground is moderately mineralized 

DSC00314.JPG

No more than 5 or 6 m between the boxes and the house :

DSC00318.JPG

• Like 1

So I wonder if the Deus 2 wasn't tested in other countries outside of Europe for EMI handling, it appears to be the case, EMI with is seems quite an issue in the US, then you're using it right at your house and it's fine.   Possibly something that a firmware update could address in the future I would guess with some frequency shifting.

• Like 1

Just now, wltdwiz said:

ive run the d2 around some heavy power sources

& it ran good no major problems

Where are you located?

I'm not a newbie, and I wouldn't say it's still not a major issue. Just last weekend I detected a place where my 800 was absolutely useless. Several more places it was absolutely compromised by EMI. I've always said EMI was the Equinox's achiiles heel. If the Deus II is actually worse at handling EMI then I'd call that a big problem for urban detecting.  

• Like 1