XP Deus 2 Vs Minelab Equinox 800 High Mineralized Soil & Emi

7 hours ago, longbow62 said:

I'm not a newbie, and I wouldn't say it's still not a major issue.

I did not say you are a newbie, or that’s it’s not still an issue with the Equinox, and many other detectors. My V3i and even my F75 were unusable in many locations. The fact is EMI is just terrible in some places, and expecting SMF detectors, in particular, to be immune to it, is a big ask. EMI is a reality we deal with these days, like it or not. I’m just saying it’s probably not the end of the world for the Deus 2. Mostly I’m trying to inject some sanity into the overblown rhetoric surrounding the Deus 2 and Legend introductions, which seems to have some people losing their minds. I’m not referring to you with that either! :smile:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

With my limited usage (approximately 8 hours), the d2 runs quieter than my nox.  Even testing inside my house it’s definitely more quiet. 

Another thing I noticed with just preliminary usage on the d2 is, if I do get emi and I do a frequency scan it actually works to clear it up and make the detector very quiet if not completely silent where as on the nox I’ve done multiple noise cancels and still get emi noise.  Now it hasn’t worked every single time on the d2 and there have been times when a noise cancel on the nox actually works really well and the machine runs very quietly, but that  is the exception more than the rule on the nox.  I’ve also experienced random emi from my cellphone on the nox.  I have yet to experience that kind of emi on the d2.  

• Like 5

EMI is the aerial salt water polution of the 21st century and it's only going to continue to get worse. It probably is and will continue to be a critical design issue for detector companies for some time to come, specially those making SMF machines. The hope is that the new detector technology coming out will deal with it better and better.

But for now there are certain advantages of high EMI to be exploited. I have detected areas of high EMI that my old Nox could not filter out, but managed to eek out some good signals and some good finds because other detectorists would avoid those areas at all costs. Sometimes you just have to rise to the challenge. 😎

• Like 2

I'm finding the Deus 2 can be run most places as long as you don't run it hot. Some programs are more susceptible to EMI than others. If you play enough with sensitivity, audio response and reactivity, it's pretty stable. If EMI is bad I've been starting with sensitivity at 80, audio response at 4 and reactivity at 2. You can usually up sensitivity into the low 90's as long as you make adjustments to audio response (lower it) and reactivity (push it up). I read or heard somewhere else, can't remember where that the KHz for the tone can be changed as well and mitigate some of the EMI. I haven't tried that yet.

• Like 4

A friend has had a Deus II on order for awhile. Who knows when he will get it, but it will be interesting to see how it does in places EMI gives me fits with the Equinox. I can say without a doubt EMI where I live seems to have gotten worse in some places over just the last few years. We have an area called the " Historic West End" where most of the older homes are. It's a roll of the dice when you get out in this area how bad the EMI will be. It totally runs the gamut from very light(20 sensitivity) to basically so bad you can't even detect (10 sensitivity for stability). I seldom dig a silver under 4", and most of it is 6" plus.   

• Like 4

Testing enough to have a good idea of how your detector performs at lower sensitivity/gain levels is an advantage. If you know it will hit a 6" coin @ 80% and a 4" coin @ 60% for example, you can have more confidence in your settings. If your running unstable it's hard to hear those deeper targets.

• Like 4